4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2005 7:30 PM by Carl Sammarco
Carl Sammarco Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Hello,
I currently use word and powerpoint. I like what I see on Keynote. I am not sure of the advantage of Pages, except that it will most likely not crash as often as Word. I like the autotext feature in Word. I have looked at the materials on pages and have not found a similar feature. Am I missing it?

Carl
  • FrankBe Level 4 Level 4 (1,605 points)
    Hello Carl,

welcome to the Pages discussions. What is autotext? Is it the auto-completion of words you are typeing or the insertion of sentenses like macros? Both features are not implemented in Pages. There are some tools to do auto-completion.

Here is one:
    "www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?section=textpander"

Frank.
  • Joerg Beyer Level 2 Level 2 (395 points)
    Hi Carl.

I'm evaluating TextPander since some days and would like to second FrankBe's post -- TextPander looks promising. The current version is 1.2, it's donationware, and I can imagine more things to come if we are willing to appreciate Mr. Maurer's work.

One of the greatest advantages of Textpander is that the shortcut-expansion-"database" is an external XML-file (in /<user>/library/application support/textpander).
    If you're using Word for Mac (vX or v2004), you should be able to read out your existing autotext-entries with AppleScript, change the result to XML, and import your entries into TextPander. Maybe you will have to puzzle a bit, but it may save you some work.

Oh, and of course there are three alternatives to TextPander (and Word's doc-based Autotext-feature):
    (1) TypeIt4Me -- a veteran
    (2) SpellCatcher -- another veteran *wich comes with a very flexibel AutoText-feature*
    (3) Typinator -- ... is a newcomer like Textpander, native Mac OS X/Cocoa

All these products (incl. Textpander) work systemwide in each and every application you like to have an autotext-feature.

Look at Versiontracker.com for user reviews, or google the products.
    Happy evaluating, have a nice weekend.

Joerg

P.S.: Oh ... and forget Word, if you can. It's not worth to waste your time and productivity with this so called "industrial strength software".
  • Matthias Rempe Level 4 Level 4 (1,560 points)
    Carl,

we had a similar discussion some days before about Auto Correct and Textpander.

Depending on your (maybe growing) needs, you could also take a look at http://linguisoft.com/ for Grammarian:

Grammarian Pro X offers "Grammar, Spelling, Dictionary, Thesaurus, AutoCorrect, and Styled AutoType".
  • Carl Sammarco Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    thanks to all above, this is helpful. I will check these out. Love to shake mr gates out of my system.
    Carl