Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beep codes - new RAM

I have a 20" Intel iMac 2.0Ghz with 1GB of RAM. I just bought a 2GB stick of GB Micro matching RAM, popped it in, and it worked great - for about 12 hours. I was using Parallels when I got a the "your computer crashed, you need to shut it off" screen. After this, I can't boot with the new RAM installed anymore. I get 2 beeps followed by a repeating set of 3 beeps. I've read that this means "incompatible RAM" followed by "no good banks." I tried re-seating the RAM, switching slots, etc. I've got the original RAM in the opposite slot now so I know both slots work.

Is this RAM bad or is it truly incompatible? The specs appear to match exactly (GB Micro "AE" 2GB DDR2-667 CL5, PC2-5300S-555) and it worked great for a while.

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 7, 2008 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2008 12:48 PM

If you can't boot with the new ram and when you take it out you can then it's almost certainly bad ram. Would contact the seller and have them send you a new stick.

lenn
3 replies

Beep codes - new RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.