Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony DRX-840U

I just purchased a Sony DRX-840U DVD/CD Rewritable Drive. The box says it is Mac compatible but my iMac with 10.4.11 does not recognize it. Nothing, zip, no reaction when I plug it in. I plugged it into the computer (not a hub) and the USB port I am using works fine and supports an external hard drive. I planned to switch between my PC and the iMac and the drive works fine on the PC.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 8, 2008 1:09 PM

7 replies

Jun 9, 2008 6:04 AM in response to Limnos

Oops. Unfortunately, problems come in bunches. I used the Sony drive and Toast on my iMac to create a DVD DL data disc of photos, but the Super Drive on my iMac won't recognize the disc. It spins the disc for about 30 seconds, then spits it out. I have tried the "Mac and PC" setting as well as the UDF setting without success. The only way I can read the disc is using the Sony external drive. I have DL discs that I burned on a PC that my Super Drive can read, so I am at a loss to explain this.

Jun 9, 2008 7:29 AM in response to leats1

The more complex the media the more you are pushing the abilities of optical drives. Older ones can be temperamental just the way you are observing. 3 years is not ancient but this is really sounding like a case of temperamental drive. They may see certain brands and not others, burned on certain machines and not others. You can try changing brands, and also try changing burn speeds to a lower speed. You can also try a laser cleaning disc though I have not found mine to be terribly effective when I had this problem and ended up putting in a new drive for $30.

Sony DRX-840U

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.