Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast MP3s can't become "normal" MP3 files

Has anyone run into this problem (and come up with a solution?)

I subscribe to a podcast in which each "show" is actually an individual song. Often, I want to keep one of these songs as a regular song in my library (and take it out of the Podcast list, where it may be deleted during an update).

Here's the weird thing: Even if you copy the podcast file (via iTunes by dragging it to your desktop or by copying the file via Finder), then try to add it to your regular iTunes library, iTunes -still- treats it as a podcast mp3. This causes a few annoying things to happen:

* The song appears as a "show" in the podcast area, subject to deletion.
* The song doesn't play as a regular song, even in normal playlists -- for example, after playing the song, iTunes just stops - it won't go to the next song, and shuffle doesn't work.

And here's something even more interesting - if you copy the song/podcast files to a flash drive and move them to another computer as regular mp3 files, then import them to iTunes, they STILL appear as podcasts, even on the computer that neer heard of these podcasts before!

So, is something about iTunes changing the mp3 tagging in a matter that they don't play the same as regular mp3s? Is there a way to prevent this?

Posted on Aug 9, 2005 8:28 AM

6 replies

Aug 9, 2005 1:09 PM in response to DanHontz

Yes, I noticed it.

I did this:

1. Select the podcast.
2. Type Cmd-I and change the genre to something else. Click save.
3. Drag the podcast to the desktop
4. Delete the podcast.
5. From the desktop drag the MP3 to the Library window or some playlist.
6. The podcast appears in the Podcast section, but you can delete that entry.

Before dragging it to the desktop, I changed the genre to something else, but it did appear again in the iPod section.

On the other hand, one podcast with a changed genre did NOT appear in the Podcast section, after dragging it to and fro.

It's strange.

Aug 16, 2005 2:47 PM in response to DanHontz

Another issue I have with the iTunes implementation of podcasts is that the 'iTunes Podcasts' are un-Rateable! I'm trying to make use of the 'Expire Podcasts 2.0' - google it for more info - script to manage my podcasts because iTunes does a poor job of it, and one of the functions is to allow me to keep podcasts I rate at five stars, automatically delete any podcasts rated with one star, and to delete any podcasts with play count equal/greater to one.

A lot of podcasts I'll choose to pass on, and to save space on my iPod mini I'd prefer that these can be deleted... rating them at one star would let me do that in advance for podcasts I don't listen to completely. I already can do it when I'm at my powerbook, but I don't always remember what I've listened to. I could just fast-forward through the podcast, yes... but WHY CAN'T PODCASTS BE RATED VIA THE IPOD APPLE??

kthx

Aug 18, 2005 4:18 AM in response to DanHontz

I second that, Podcasts seem to have some "special" tagging making them "different" so they will always appear in iTunes´ Podcasts section and, what´s even worse, iTunes will always put the mp3 file into its "Podcasts" folder (as long as "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" is switched on under Preferences/Advanced).

However I found some dirty workaround to turn podcasts into "real" mp3 files again: Try "Advanced/Convert ID3 Tags" and choose "ID3 Tag version v1.0". You may then convert them back into v.2.x again.

Seems like v1.x doesn´t include the info whatever makes Podcasts so special, but some other Tags will be lost too ;(

Sep 20, 2005 1:33 AM in response to kingsteve233

Another issue I have with the iTunes implementation of podcasts is that the 'iTunes Podcasts' are un-Rateable!

Thats a good point, i was trying to rate my podcasts and found that i could not do that. After really getting in to these with growing library of podcasts i really wish that podcasts could be rateable, sending a feedback for this asap.

Podcast MP3s can't become "normal" MP3 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.