Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random problems with Sound

After updating from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3, has anybody had random problems with the sound/speaker icon displaying on the menu bar and sound coming out from the onboard speaker on the PowerBook G4.

Some odd things I noted:

When restarting, there is sound coming from the laptop.

In the 'System Preferences...' > 'Sound' the onboard sound is disabled. No input is detected, no external output is detected. The option to display the Sound volume on the menu bar is enabled, but not displaying. The option for sound is muted, but it is inaccessible where it cannot be unchecked. 😟 * sounds like a PC ...grrrrr

Takes about 2 to 3 reboots to get the sound back and restored.

PowerMac G5,PowerbookG4, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 9, 2008 7:55 PM

14 replies

Jul 24, 2008 6:08 PM in response to Matthias Wahl

Plugging in a headphone makes no difference for me. Do you have a PowerBook G4? When I booted from a partition on an external hard drive containing 10.4.11, my sound came back! But then when I rebooted from my internal hard drive, the system menu volume indicator was greyed out again 😟

So it seems that there are two possibilities:

1) This is a bug in Leopard
2) My install of Leopard has somehow been corrupted.

Jul 25, 2008 6:39 AM in response to ken_rulloda

I called up AppleCare, tried rebooting with the shift key held down, to no avail. However, the tech support guy had me look through /Library/Audio, and it turns out that there was something weird in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components:

A52Codec.component

This was installed by Pierian 1.1. I removed it and rebooted, and all was fine. So there's definitely an incompatibility between Pierian 1.1 and OS X 10.5.4.

Random problems with Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.