Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st generation iPhone and Early Termination Fee

Hello all, here's a question, since it was announced that AT&T will no longer share revenue with Apple does this now mean that owners of the unsubsidized 1st generation iphone will be able to get out of their 2 year contracts early without a Early Termination Fee?

iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.5.3), iPhone user, Airport Extreme

Posted on Jun 10, 2008 6:02 PM

7 replies

Jun 10, 2008 6:09 PM in response to ifan369

More than likely, yes.

The first generation iPhone was not subsidized in the traditional way, as the iPhone 3G will be subsidized.

at&t did not provide a subsidy or a discount to you on the sales price of the first generation iPhone.

I became an at&t subscriber 3-4 months prior to the iPhone being available. I selected a phone that was subsidized by at&t agreeing to a new two year contract. I activated my iPhone as an existing subscriber agreeing to a new two year contract on my iPhone's activation date. I was not charged an early contract termination fee or any penalty when doing so, and I still have my original phone that was subsidized by at&t which I've used with my iPhone's SIM card on occasion.

The same should apply when purchasing the iPhone 3G, which will require agreeing to a new two year contract beginning on the activation date for the 3G iPhone with no early contract termination fee penalty for the existing iPhone - which was not subsidized in the traditional way as the iPhone 3G will be subsidized.

1st generation iPhone and Early Termination Fee

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.