Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Getting Hot. Ok to keep plugged in?

I'm a big fan of AE. However, for it to really work for me, I need it plugged in 24/7. I had it plugged in for no longer than 15 minutes and it was hot. I've seen reports of dead AE units and don't want to do anything that would adversely affect the lifespan of my AE. Thoughts?

Dual Core 2.0 PowerMac | PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Jun 10, 2008 7:01 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2008 1:38 PM in response to VA2020

Time Capsule's manual says:

+About Operating and Storage Temperatures+
+When you are using your Time Capsule, it is normal for the case to get warm. The+
+Time Capsule case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the+
+unit to the cooler air outside.+

Now I don't know if yours gets hotter than 'normal'. I know mine gets fairly warm, but not to the point where I think there's a problem.

Jun 21, 2008 1:57 PM in response to VA2020

Is there anyway to monitor the temp/fan speed like with smcFanControl?

Nope.

If you can put your hands on the surface for 5 second, then it's not too hot. All these appliances are using the chassises for passive cooling. It save manufacturing costs for them.

For example the Seagate Barracuda ES Drive (I think this is what's inside the TC), specifies an operation temperature between 5C to 55C.

Airport Express Getting Hot. Ok to keep plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.