3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2008 1:57 PM by dchao99
Christopher Meinck Level 1 Level 1 (110 points)
I'm a big fan of AE. However, for it to really work for me, I need it plugged in 24/7. I had it plugged in for no longer than 15 minutes and it was hot. I've seen reports of dead AE units and don't want to do anything that would adversely affect the lifespan of my AE. Thoughts?

Dual Core 2.0 PowerMac | PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)
  • 1. Re: Airport Express Getting Hot. Ok to keep plugged in?
    VA2020 Level 4 Level 4 (3,450 points)
    Time Capsule gets fairly warm as well, even when the drive in not in use. I'm worried about HD failure. Is there anyway to monitor the temp/fan speed like with smcFanControl? I don't see Applecare being offered for the Time Capsule.
  • 2. Re: Airport Express Getting Hot. Ok to keep plugged in?
    iGriff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Time Capsule's manual says:

+About Operating and Storage Temperatures+
    +When you are using your Time Capsule, it is normal for the case to get warm. The+
    +Time Capsule case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the+
    +unit to the cooler air outside.+

Now I don't know if yours gets hotter than 'normal'. I know mine gets fairly warm, but not to the point where I think there's a problem.
  • 3. Re: Airport Express Getting Hot. Ok to keep plugged in?
    dchao99 Level 4 Level 4 (2,040 points)
    Is there anyway to monitor the temp/fan speed like with smcFanControl?

Nope.

If you can put your hands on the surface for 5 second, then it's not too hot. All these appliances are using the chassises for passive cooling. It save manufacturing costs for them.

For example the Seagate Barracuda ES Drive (I think this is what's inside the TC), specifies an operation temperature between 5C to 55C.