Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best File Format to use for iTunes and MAC

I have always used the AAC Encoder set to 256 kbps to import my CDs to iTunes. In preparation for moving to a music server system in the future I want to re-import my CDs at the highest quality (uncompressed) format that I can.

Is my understanding correct that AIFF was developed for use with MAC and basically WAV for Windows? Would it be best for me to use AIFF? Should the settings be left at automatic or set to 16 bit, 44 khz and stereo?

I understand there is a way to take these uncompressed files and compress them later for transfer to my iPod. How is that done? If there are tutorials or other directions on this site or others please feel free to direct me to those. At this point I have not been able to find an answer to my specific questions.

Any other recommendations or suggestions is appreciated.

Thank You

Mike

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jun 11, 2008 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2008 8:21 AM

Apple Lossless is a very good format you could try.
2 replies

Jun 18, 2008 4:40 PM in response to mwheelerk

Macs and iTunes will recognize and play both AIFF and WAV formats. If you want to play the files on Windows machines as well, I'd say use WAV encoding. In order to ensure the quality you want, change the setting from 'Automatic' to 16 Bit, 44.1khz stereo (this is industry standard).
When you want to compress the high quality WAVs, change the import settings to the desired format (mp3/aac etc). Then select the tracks you wish to compress and in the 'Advanced' menu, chose 'Convert selection to mp3/aac'. iTunes will then create duplicate tracks encoded to the desired format.
Hope this answers your question.

Best File Format to use for iTunes and MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.