Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BTMM - DSL modem or router issue?

Having read many and sundry posts and support articles about BTMM, I am to the point of wondering what will work.

Posts and support articles say the routers must support UPnP or NAT-PMP and the "Third-party router devices that work with Back to My Mac" list, which seems to be getting smaller rather than larger, list routers and only mentions modem in one footnote.

So does the router or DSL modem need to support UPnP or NAT-PMP?
Are any of the routers mentioned on the list also DSL modems?

Dose anyone have a DSL Router/Modem that is working?

Thanks

Power Mac Dual 1.4GHz G4; iMac Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.3), 2GB Ram, SATA RAID external drives; 1GB Ram

Posted on Jun 12, 2008 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2008 11:17 AM

Many DSL modems actually have built-in NAT routers which serve no practical purpose, but effectively place users behind multiple levels of NAT which actually breaks a lot more than just BTMM. Some third-party routers do work, but the only truly reliable means of utilizing the service is through Apple hardware as none of the other vendors test their firmware upgrades against it; one revision might be fine, while another breaks everything horribly.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2008 11:17 AM in response to James Mol

Many DSL modems actually have built-in NAT routers which serve no practical purpose, but effectively place users behind multiple levels of NAT which actually breaks a lot more than just BTMM. Some third-party routers do work, but the only truly reliable means of utilizing the service is through Apple hardware as none of the other vendors test their firmware upgrades against it; one revision might be fine, while another breaks everything horribly.

Jun 12, 2008 1:36 PM in response to James Mol

Greetings,

I use BTMM all the time with Airport Extreme Base Stations and a couple of different model Netgear devices at other locations, so it's AEBS to AEBS, AEBS to Netgear, and Netgear to AEBS - I also use it to connect to and from Aruba and Cisco equipment.

I use the UPnP and NAT-PMP built in services for the most part, but in the corporate stuff, I had to create a rule and map it out on the Corporate Checkpoint Firewall and on the Cisco Corporate Routers.

I like the little home/small business routers, as UPnP and NAT-PMP make as easy as it could ever be.

Good Luck - Cheers,
M.

Jun 12, 2008 5:01 PM in response to Donald Palmer

Are the DSL modems only modems?

I have several two wire, 1000SW and the 2700 and neither would work with BTMM, even after I set up the ports for port forwarding. I believe both of these have a router as part of the modem.
I know ATT has just a modem.

So from what everyone has said, an ATT modem would work if it is only the modem because the router is what causes the problem, right?

Jun 12, 2008 5:08 PM in response to Monty1945

Thanks for you input.

Are you on at T1 or DSL/Cable modem?

Seems what you are saying is that most all equipment with UPnP and NAT-PMP built in have worked for you. I know I can get the simple modem from ATT, just connects to DSL and then buy a router with UPnP or NAT-PMP.

I will mark all your suggestions helpful as soon as the icons come back up.

Jun 13, 2008 8:27 AM in response to James Mol

Both of the 2wire gateways are also 4 port and wireless routers.
I have my MacPro, a winXP wireless notebook, an Airport Express for my stereo, an iTouch and a HP wireless printer all on this gateway.
I bought this from ATT for <$100
The DSL model is a 2Wire Gateway 1701HG and does provide NAT for up to 256 devices
These Gateways are only good up to 54mb speed, don't know what good a Gigabit enet would do.
The ATT fiber delivers 10mb speed to me now, but I'm sure it will increase in the future.

Jun 13, 2008 8:41 AM in response to James Mol

Greetings,

I have a Cable modem at home, and DSL, TI, T3, OC3, and ATM (Microwave) at the work places - they all work fine. My Cable modem is separate from my router (AEBS). UPnP and NAT-PMP if you have it, or port management if you don't.

I'm using BTMM right now to write this, from a park logged into my Mac at home. I needed a file for this mac, and just popped in for a minute or three to check Mail and these forums while I'm waiting for a friend.

Cheers,
M.

Message was edited by: Monty1945

Message was edited by: Monty1945

Sep 12, 2008 5:57 PM in response to James Mol

Hi, In answer to the question, I have a Motorola 2210 modem, but I'll bet the 2Wire that I replaced would work as well...

I took the Airport Extreme and configured it so that the "Connection Sharing" on the "Internet" tab was set to "Share a public IP address". Once I did this (and set the DHCP address space to an non-routable block), the AE rebooted and I could use BTMM.

If you have specific setup questions, feel free to email me.

BTMM - DSL modem or router issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.