Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT GPUs

Well,

It seems to me that this 8800 GT GPU looks like it was made to be combined with another 8800 GT GPU (because it's so thin that it fits in a single slot and it has an SLI cable connector on it).

Apple offers a version of this 8800 GT that is compatible with the 2008 Mac Pro with its 1.6 MHz bus and PCI Express 2.0 slots.

The Apple Store also sells another version of the 8800 GT that is backward compatible with my 2007 Mac Pro with its 1.33 MHz bus and earlier version of PCI Express slots (not PCI Express 2.0).

There are reports that using two of these 8800 GT GPUs in slots 1 and 2 (I know, I know... the $) and connected by an SLI ribbon cable (not the bridge) will provide one of the best GPU solutions available for the Mac Pro (make it longer lasting) and also enable nVIDIA's SLI technology to work in Boot Camp and native in Leopard (10.5.2 or better).

My question is: Does anyone know of or have personal experience with a dual 8800 GT GPU SLI linked configuration like this in either the 1st or 2nd generation Mac Pros?

I'd be most grateful for any input on this...

TIA and Cheers,

tyvol

Message was edited by: tyvol

Mac Pro, 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.5.3), GPU=X1900 512MB, HD's 1 Raptor (150GB), 3 Seagate (750 GB), Canon LiDE Scanner

Posted on Jun 12, 2008 3:06 PM

21 replies

Jun 12, 2008 7:34 PM in response to tyvol

I've got 2 8800GT's in my Early 2008 MacPro. I got one of them BTO, and then added the "add-on" kit for this the latest model of MacPro. They are not SLI'd together, as I had thought that was not possible in the current OS. Maybe that's wrong, but I did have an Apple store tech do the second card install, and he never mentioned that I could SLI them.

Not sure that helps you, but there it is.

Jun 13, 2008 2:46 AM in response to Some Dude

Hey mate, wait a bit more, theres been successful stories about Mac Pro being able to run with a 9800GX2 a display card of 2x512mb memory, and thats huge!.

Its currently in discussions in InsanelyMac.com but it requires a mac with 10.5.3 installed in it and some Modified Kexts to run with it too.

But since the 9800GX2 has its own Rom built into the card itself it wont be long for Mac to be able to Make the the card compatible with EFI and soon you can run SLI even on the 9800GX2!

Jun 13, 2008 8:39 AM in response to Some Dude

This does indeed help!

Your set-up shows that two 8800 GTs can run together on a Mac Pro, which is part of what I was hoping was the case.

I suspect (and I'm guessing here) that your performance would improve considerably if you connected your two 8800 GTs with a SLI ribbon cable.

FYI, here's what they look like: www.sidewindercomputers.com/flslicafornv.html).

It seems that a key function of the SLI ribbon cable is to take the 8800 GT exchange bandwidth load off of the motherboard.

Another function of the SLI ribbon cable is to be enable and use nVIDIA's SLI technology without it being embodied in the motherboard (but two 8800 GTs are a requirement here - one 8800 GT will not enable the SLI feature).

If I learn more, I'll keep you posted.

Good luck and many thanks!

tyvol

Jun 14, 2008 3:52 PM in response to tyvol

I tried two GeForce 8800 GTs on the Mac Pro. SLI does not work under Mac OS X or Windows.

I tried two Radeon HD 3870 Mac & PC Editions. Crossfire works under Windows but not under Mac OS X.

The only way you can benefit from "dual GPUs" under Mac OS X is if ATI released a Mac Edition of the GeForce 9800 GX2 or ATI released a Mac Edition of the Radeon HD 3870 X2.

Jun 14, 2008 10:05 PM in response to rob_ART

Great feedback!

I'll take your word for it, but I'm now running two 8800 GT's with an SLI ribbon connector (w/32 bit Vista), and I can't tell if the SLI feature works, simply because I don't know how to test it.

One thing you might want to know is that the first 8800 GT must be in slot 1 to get the 16x factor. The second 8800 GT needs to be in slot 4 to get the 8x factor. Slots 2 and 3 don't allow maximum performance (at 1x or 4x).

A humble observation is that, using my ATI X1900 XT, Crysis would not automatically run at this game's maximum graphics settings. It was still pretty good, though.

With the dual 8800 GTs however, Crysis automatically puts the graphic settings at their maximum, and the results are terrific.

Another observation is that using the 8800 GT's, Vista's "Performance Experience" test increases the "3D gaming" to 5.9 over 5.8 with the X1900 XT.

Not much, but it's something.

I don't expect SLI to work on my 1st generation Mac Pro, but I'd sure like to be able to test if it works using Vista (32 bit).

I know, I know, but then again I have hopes in winning the lottery as well...

More guidance is appreciated!

Cheers!

tyvol

Jun 15, 2008 11:59 AM in response to tyvol

This topic is extremely helpful to me too 🙂 , see my topic in this forum if you wish.

I am soon ordering a Mac Pro and planning to put Vista and Crysis on it.

Do you recommend getting the first 8800 from Apple in your order, then buying the second one from Apple as well, or from another vendor (cheaper)?

Would your set up work fine on the newest Mac Pro (I have yet to get one)?

Thanks mate 😀

Jun 15, 2008 12:39 PM in response to watt webb

Well,
I'm more comfortable with ordering direct from Apple.
Please note though, Apple clearly indicates that there are two versions of the 8800 GT.
Not an issue for you, but 8800 GT for the second generation (2008) Mac Pro will not work on the first generation (2007) Mac Pro.
My two 8800 GTs work fine in my first generation (2007) Mac Pro.
They must to use slots 1 (16x) and 4 (8x) for best available slot bandwidth.
They each have to also be connected to power from the motherboard, and this is no problem but note that there are only two auxiliary power connectors on the motherboard.
The 8800 GTs are also connected together by an SLI ribbon cable.
Alas, nVIDIA's SLI is not enabled for either Mac OS X or Vista.
The 2007/2008 Mac Pro's won't allow this (so far).
However, the two 8800 GTs are some faster that the X1900 XT.
Crysis settings are automatically upgraded from Medium (X1900 XT) to High and the Performance Experience rating for 3D gaming under Boot Camp Vista 32 bit went up a notch.
There is a new GPU you may now wish to compare against my more expensive solution, and that is the ATI HD 3870. Bare Feats shows it tests out faster in almost all respects than an individual 8800 GT ( http://www.barefeats.com/harper16.html). That's because it contains two processors in one PCI Express 2.0 slot (this 3870 is backward compatible to the 2007 vintage Mac Pro's (dubbed Cloverdale) and 2008 vintage (so far) Mac Pro's (dubbed Harpertown)). Unfortunately for me, Bare Feats doesn't have a head to head comparison of the 2 processor 3870 GPU to two 8800 GT GPUs additionally connected via SLI ribbon cable. Such a test would, I believe, make the 8800 GTs very, very competitive, but at a much higher price. But note that the price of the 3870 is around $200! I wish I'd known about it sooner...
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
tyvol

Jun 15, 2008 1:03 PM in response to tyvol

So should I wait for Apple to release a Mac Pro with the ATI HD 3870? The guys on the Crysis forums also suggested I wait for its release (a few months?).

What does it mean that NVIDIA's SLI is not 'enabled' for leopard/vista?

Sorry if Im a bit thick, but are you suggesting that the ATI HD 3870 would work better (and better priced) than dual GeForce 8800 GTs with an SLI, for both me and you (2nd and 1rst gen pros) or just primarily for you? In the link you supplied, they sure make it out to be better for both of us.

Thanks 😀

Jun 15, 2008 2:02 PM in response to watt webb

Tom's Hardware results:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/graphics-cards/3dmark06-v1-0-2-hdr-sm3-0-scor e,538.html

AMD's Radeon HD 3850 and 3870 graphics cards (and compares it to 8800)
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13603
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13603/10

Reviewing the Mac 3870 version:
The 3870 Mac & PC Edition could still be an interesting upgrade for folks with older Mac Pros seeking to play recent 3D games. Those shopping for a Mac Pro now may want to think twice, however: the GeForce 8800 GT 512MB is a $150 upgrade from the base configuration, and it's generally faster than the 3870 out of the box.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14932

At $219 vs 279 ($150 BTO), a BTO option should make it more affordable, if that comes to pass.

One more review of "Today's Graphics Cards"
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14686/9

Jun 15, 2008 10:54 PM in response to watt webb

Hatter always gets to the point ever so quickly.

My personal experience is that my dual 8800 GT (with SLI connector) is a way better performer than the X1900 XT on my Mac Pro.

As for the ATI 3820 2x, I don't have access to one of these.

I would need one in order to be able to responsibly give my personal experience regarding its performance.

My hunch was that the dual 8800 GT with SLI connector is even a better performer as compared with all other GPU options out there for the Mac Pro.

Hatter pointed us all to extensive tests that bear this out, far more objectively than I could.

As usual, Well Done Hatter!

And, many thanks!

Cheers,

tyvol

Jun 16, 2008 6:25 AM in response to tyvol

I have more than a hunch.

I have two GeForce 8800 GTs. I jumpered them in SLI mode under Vista 64. SLI mode does NOT work because the nVidia driver does not recognize the Mac Pro as an SLI supported machine.

Crossfire, on the other hand, works like a champ. ATI made sure of it when working on it. That's why they sent me two early units to test so I could publish the effect it has on BareFeats.com.

Jun 18, 2008 5:34 AM in response to tyvol

I'm speaking of two Radeon HD 3870 Mac & PC Editions on an "early 2008" Mac Pro 3.2GHz. ATI recommends the 8.5 version of their Windows/Vista drivers (which is supposed to be posted on their website when the 3870 Mac & PC Edition ships at the end of June). Works with two 2600s, too.

One thing I haven't tried is a "triple" Crossfire with one 3870 and one 3870 X2. I'm trying to verify the peak wattage of the X2 before I experiment.

Dual nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT GPUs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.