Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my Mac write to DVD +R DL disks

Here is the info on my super drive:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109:

Firmware Revision: A912
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

I thought it should burn to DVD +R DL media. I am burning at 2x speed (rathyer than BEST) and only make it through 50% of the writing every time before I get a media error. I am using Toast 9.0. What am I doing wrong? I have not had this problem using the same media on my Optiarc super drive attached to my MacBook Air.

Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jun 13, 2008 5:10 PM

15 replies

Jun 13, 2008 9:38 PM in response to Pamela Owen

Verbatim's DVD+R DL discs are generally regarded as the best DL disc available. If you're not using those, give them a try.

You may also want to consider doing a firmware update on the drive. Your drive has the original firmware that Apple shipped it with, but Pioneer has released many updates since then, and some of the improvements are to DVD+R DL burning.

The firmware can be downloaded from Pioneer Japan's site at http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/devicee/dev00001re.html

You need to use Stuffit Expander to extract the files from the download, which is a PC self-extracting file. Then, you need to use DVRFlash to actually perform the update using the firmware files you downloaded from Pioneer. Read the instructions provided with DVRFlash carefully, and be sure to follow the directions exactly.

Jun 13, 2008 10:56 PM in response to Pamela Owen

Re-read the last paragraph I wrote - you download the file and then use Stuffit Expander to extract the content from the .exe file (why Pioneer can't just use a regular .zip file, I don't know). You'll end up with a folder that contains three files, if I recall correctly. One is another .exe file - this is the flashing program for Windows PCs, but we use DVRFlash in place of it. The other two files are the firmware files that DVRFlash uses to update the firmware on the drive. These two files have a .158 extension in this case (that's the firmware revision number).

Message was edited by: Steve Boultbee

Jun 14, 2008 9:38 AM in response to Steve Boultbee

Okay, I read the directions for DVRFlash carefully - I even printed them out so that I could follow them step by step. I have NEVER updated firmware so I'm really hesitate. I opened the Terminal window and thought I did just what I was supposed to do, but of course the firmware number hadn't changed when I went to the system profiler and took a look at my DVD drive specs. Would it be possible for you tpo give me a step-by-step set of instructions to follow (in layman's terms) since you are talking to a complete novice in this area. THANKS 🙂

Jun 14, 2008 5:38 PM in response to Pamela Owen

OK, I'm going to assume a few things, so please adjust accordingly if necessary.

I'm assuming that you've got DVRFlash and the firmware update from Pioneer downloaded to your desktop.

1) Extract the files in the firmware download. When I did it with the DVR-109 firmware, I get a folder with the following contents: ZipInfo.TXT, UPGR109.exe, R9100109.158, and R9100009.158.

2) Drag R9100109.158 and R9100009.158 to ~/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.5.1/DVRFlash_2.5.1/dvrflashmac/

3) Open Terminal in /Applications/Utilities/ and navigate to the folder in step 2.

4) At the terminal prompt, type the following (without the quotes and all on one line):
"./DVRFlash -f PIONEER R9100109.158 R9100009.158"

Now DVRFlash will do its thing, and when it's finished, you should have a Pioneer DVR-109 that reports its revision in System Profiler as 1.58. Remember that you may have to reboot after flashing for System Profiler to correctly identify the firmware revision.

Jun 15, 2008 1:59 PM in response to Steve Boultbee

SUCCESS!! I had to make a few changes in the command "./DVRFlash -f PIONEER R9100109.158 R9100009.158" since I found out that my drive is the Apple version of a Pioneer drive. Anyway, my firmware is now updated to v1.58 so hopefully that will take care of my dual layer burning problems. I haven't tried it yet, but at least the firmware has been successfully update.

Thanks so much for your help 😉

Sep 10, 2008 12:25 AM in response to Pamela Owen

Hi,

I've follow the instruction on how to update the firmware but end up getting error, here's the log:

Commandline:
/Users/fredericklim/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.6.0/DVRFlash_2.6.0/dvrflashmac/DVRFlash

Device parameter was not given, detecting all DVR drives:

Device : A:
Vendor : PIONEER
Model : DVD-RW DVR-109
Revision : A912

Region : 3
Changes : 4 region changes remaining
4 vendor resets remaining
state is 'Region set'

Now run DVRFlash again, from the command prompt, using
one of the device(s) listed above as first parameter

Press the Return key to exit
-f PIONEER
Freds-G5:~ fredericklim$ /Users/fredericklim/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.6.0/DVRFlash_2.6.0/dvrflashmac/R9100009.158
/Users/fredericklim/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.6.0/DVRFlash_2.6.0/dvrflashmac/R9100009.158: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/Users/fredericklim/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.6.0/DVRFlash_2.6.0/dvrflashmac/R9100009'158: line 1: ` ****** Copyright(c) 2000 Pioneer Corporation ******
Freds-G5:~ fredericklim$ /Users/fredericklim/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.6.0/DVRFlash_2.6.0/dvrflashmac/R9100109.158
/Users/fredericklim/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.6.0/DVRFlash_2.6.0/dvrflashmac/R9100109.158: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/Users/fredericklim/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.6.0/DVRFlash_2.6.0/dvrflashmac/R9100109'158: line 1: ` ****** Copyright(c) 2000 Pioneer Corporation ******

Can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance

Sep 10, 2008 10:18 AM in response to fredlimck

It looks like you're typing the command incorrectly.

To make it easier, change the working directory to the folder that contains DVRFlash by typing (without the quotes) "cd ~/Desktop/DVRFlash v2.6.0/DVRFlash_2.6.0/dvrflashmac"

Then, issue the command that I gave in one of the above posts (also without quotes): "./DVRFlash -f PIONEER R9100109.158 R9100009.158"

Oct 9, 2008 11:59 AM in response to Pamela Owen

Pamela Owen wrote:
SUCCESS!! I had to make a few changes in the command "./DVRFlash -f PIONEER R9100109.158 R9100009.158" since I found out that my drive is the Apple version of a Pioneer drive.

Pamela, what exactly did you have to type in differently since I have the same problem. I follow all the directions but this is the terminal error message I got, Drive Information:
Description : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109
Firmware Rev : A912
Firmware Date : 05/03/17
Manufacturer : PIONEER
Drive is in normal mode.

Firmwares and Drive type mismatch
Continue because force option was specified
WARNING: Hardware and Firmware really don't match!

Message was edited by: Rexy

Does my Mac write to DVD +R DL disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.