Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable auto login via command line

Hi,

I have an old Mac Mini (G4) running Leopard. My problem is that I cannot log in using Back to my Mac ( Screen Sharing ). I get as far as to the login window, but after login, the machine goes down ( crash completely ). I do not have the same problem with Intel-based Macs. I temporary solved this by activating automatic login. But after an upgrade of Leopard, the problem dissapaired - but after the last upgrade to 10.5.3 the problem is back - as the machine is in an other part of the country, and has no screen or keyboard - I was wondering if anyone can show me how to activate automatic login via the terminal, I have full access via SSH.

Mac Mini ( G4 ), Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 15, 2008 8:00 AM

4 replies

Jun 15, 2008 3:42 PM in response to Fjank

This setting is stored in/library/preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

To confirm the setting from the command line:

defaults read /library/preferences/com.apple.loginwindow

If automatic login is enabled you will see an "autoLoginUser" key. If it is disabled you will see only the usual settings.

I suggest experimenting on your local machine to determine the correct key value (I can't remember them). You can then edit the plist with a defaults write or directly in vi/pico.

Cheers,

Rodney

Jun 21, 2008 10:26 AM in response to MHaak

In order for the "defaults write..." method to work, you will need an encrypted version of the user's password stored in /private/etc/kcpassword.

This is automatically generated when Auto Login is set up via the standard Control Panel. If you don't have physical access, it could be copied from another machine to which you do have physical access and where the auto-logged-in user has the same password. Or it could be copied from any machine that already has the file and it contains the correct password.

Alternately, there's some discussion of the encryption scheme used for kcpassword and theoretically, you could create the file from scratch. Check out: http://www.brock-family.org/gavin/perl/kcpassword.html

Enable auto login via command line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.