Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mobile Broadband (3 Three UK ZTE MF622) and 10.5.3

Hi,

I have recently updated to 10.5.3 and now find that my 3 Mobile Broadband no longer works. All was fine under 10.5.2.

I have deinstalled the drivers and reinstalled with no joy.

I used the 3 supplied drivers from the USB modem itself (it mounts as a USB drive initially) which are revision B06 initally under 10.5.2 and these work fine creating 2 entries in Network Prefs Pane and installing an app (ZTE Mobile Connection). Launching this app and hitting connect on 10.5.2 produces a usuable broadband connection.

However under 10.5.3 the 2 network entries do not get installed and although the application runs and connects, Safari (and any other internet using app) fails as there is no route out to the net presumably because of the lack of network entries.

Needless to say I am getting nowhere with 3 customer services as although the modem supports Mac, sadly the helpdesk don't and can't assist me. They say its a Mac issue and I'm on my own.

I can find no later drivers and can only put this down to 10.5.3. I have installed the drivers on a fresh 10.5.3 Mac (e.g one that hasn't had mobile broaband on it before) and get the same issues.

I can find no reference to any issues for anyone else so I can only conclude its just me doing something wrong.

Any help/experiences greatly appreciated particularly in maybe recreating the network entries from scratch if anyone is using the same/similar combination of hardware/software as me.

Regards
NIALL8-(

Macbook Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 16, 2008 6:14 AM

29 replies

Jun 16, 2008 7:44 AM in response to Niall Mallyon

Hi

the three usb modem is the Huawei E220 USB Modem I believe.

I have the same modem but use it through t-mobile.

I recently installed a firmware update on my usb modem and it works fine in 10.5.3

The firmware I used is t-mobile specific so you should speak to three's customer service to find out if they have new firmware available for your modem.

edit

I can now see on threes website they have 3 different types of usb modems. a nd you stated in your title that you have ZTE modem. Unfortunately I cannot confirm the functionality of that device as i have not got one to test.

Message was edited by: Tim Haigh

Jun 16, 2008 7:48 AM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but as you have seen my modem is a ZTE MF622 which is the newer black model from 3.

I believe the issue is driver related as it doesn't install fully as it did under 10.5.2.

I'm hoping its just a matter of defining the modem manually in the network prefs but it needs someone with my config to assist.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

NIALL 8-(

Jun 16, 2008 7:55 AM in response to Niall Mallyon

I can see that other people have trouble installing the drivers look here.

But that may be got around. If the package installer does not work you could use pacifist to manually extract and install the driver extensions.
Other than that I wonder if three will let you exchange your modem for the huwaii modem. I know it does not look as stylish but it works. Mind you trying to get three do to anything remotely like helping a customer is difficult.

I am locked into another 12 months with them. I am never using them again after that.

Message was edited by: Tim Haigh

Jun 16, 2008 8:24 AM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi Tim,

Thanks once again.

Luckily I bought on PAYG so I'm only £70 light on the price of the modem if it can't be got working. I use it on my PC at work anyway so its not all bad news.

That said I bought it from a well know high street electrical retailer so I've a feeling they'll be getting a visit from me tonight asking for an exchange to another type or a refund.

3 helpdesk are absolutely hopeless on the Mac. They don't seem to understand that I can 'dial' and get a connection its just that the Mac can't see the connection because the drivers aren't installing into network prefs properly.

I now a little about the Mac but not enough to play around too deeply - I like things to just work!!

Regards
NIALL 8-(

Jun 16, 2008 8:29 AM in response to Niall Mallyon

Unfortunately you are dealing with 2 bad things;-

a) Three's dreadful customers service script monkeys.

b) a modem manufacturer that cant even make a installer package that works.

I am no mac genius but got my head around apple's package maker a few years ago in about 15 mins. It is very straightforward to compile a package installer.

are you local to london? I would like to have a go at getting this modem to work? So would need one to test.

Jun 16, 2008 8:41 AM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi,

Sadly I'm not near London at all.

I will probably take a quick look at the installer and see what it does - just a bit miffed that I have to really. I'm kind of hoping that I can get a swap for the e220.

Will update when I have some news. In the meantime if you want to check out the installer its at :-

http://www.three.co.uk/threefiles/macdrivers/ztemacdrivers.zip

Thats the B03 version I have B06 from the modem itself) but neither work and I can't see them being radically different apart from software levels.

Regards

NIALL 8-(

Jun 16, 2008 11:56 AM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi,

I've checked out Pacifist and the installer package for the install of the ZTE software, but to quote Midge Ure and Ultravox ..... "It means nothing to me ..."

I can see what looks like some XML to setup the modem details in network prefs but I have no idea why these aren't being used/executed or what to do to get them to work.

These appear to be :-
ZTEUSBCDCACMData.kext
ZTEUSBCDCACMControl.kext

Can I just right click on these and "Install to default location" ??

Be grateful for any assistance you can offer.

Jun 18, 2008 11:53 AM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi again,

Well I tried this with no joy.

No entries ever appear in Network Prefs and it just doesn't work.

I seem to be the only person with an issue like this so I am now convinced its my machines but I don't see how particularly as the 2nd machine I tried hasn't ever had it installed.

I've tried everything I can think of to try and either I'm being really stupid or this just doesn't work.

Had an 8th phone call with 3 today and they basically wanted the modem back for 'repair'. I told them this as ridiculous as it was working under XP and I considered it to be a driver problem. They have washed their hands of me so I guess my only course of action is to try and get a refund or swap where I bought it.

Very disappointing.

Regards
NIALL 8-(

Jun 23, 2008 12:37 PM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi,

Well surprise surprise that well known high street retailer doesn't want anything to do with me either !!

They have referred me back to 3 !!

It never rains it pours. I'm now going to wait until 10.5.4 to see what happens. If that doesn't fix it I plan to rebuild my Mac completely and reinstall the drivers as the first job, just to see.

Regards
NIALL8-(

Jun 29, 2008 10:20 AM in response to Niall Mallyon

Niall,

I just got a ZTE MF622 on 3 PAYG. The B06 drivers are working fine for me on 10.5.3. I plugged the modem in, ran the installer on the mounted drive, rebooted and then was able to connect. The ZTE interfaces don't show up in the network preferences until after I've connected, and even then they always show as 'Not Connected' before disappearing - so I don't think they're too crucial in getting a good connection.

I appreciate this doesn't help with yours, but figured it'd be good to know this isn't an insurmountable incompatibility with 10.5.3.

Cheers,

Andy.

Jun 30, 2008 4:34 AM in response to Niall Mallyon

perhaps you have it all installed correctly but try turning airport off. I am using the E220 from Optus in Australia moving it between my MacBook Pro & iMac. I have found that I can connect it fine but if airport is turned on then no data will be transmitted. Turn airport off and I am getting my email, messaging, and reading the discussions to try to find answers to this issue. Drives me nuts but to date I can find no workaround or if this is even normal. Anyone have any ideas?

Mobile Broadband (3 Three UK ZTE MF622) and 10.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.