Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Reconnect" Time Machine?

I have Time Machine backing up to a 500GB external HD. It's been faithfully backing up with no problems. A couple weeks ago the screen on my MBP died and I had to take it to the Apple Store to be fixed. I got it back today, and after setting everything up, I noticed that Time Machine hadn't backed up because it said the backup volume couldn't be located. The drive I use was connected, and mounted on the desktop, and it was listed in the TM preferences. I clicked on "change disk", re-selected it, and this time TM found it just fine, but the problem is, it's trying to create another set up backups on the HD instead of using the existing folder of backups that it's been using for months. The original set of backups were in a folder called "MacBook Pro", and now it's trying to create a new folder called "MacBook Pro 2". Is there any way to "reconnect" to the original folder that's already in place?

2.4ghz MacBook Pro, Dual 2.5ghz G5 Power Mac, 667mhz TiBook, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 16, 2008 1:13 PM

3 replies

Jul 25, 2008 9:25 AM in response to ndelc

Time Machine was working perfectly on my iMac until I had to take it in to replace the video card. When the computer was repaired a week later, I reconnected my external hard drive and clicked on "Back Up Now" under the Time Machine icon in the menu bar. A "Time Machine Error" message came up informing me that "This backup is too large for the backup volume." More than half the hard drive is still available (38.3 GB), but Time Machine demands 40.9 GB, which is more than my original backup with Time Machine months ago. So it seems Time Machine wants to start over with a new backup of my entire system. Can I tell it to resume where it left off? Or do I have to buy another hard drive and start all over again?

Bob M.

"Reconnect" Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.