Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to increase size of minimize and other buttons top left of window?

I sometimes find it difficult with the mouse to click exactly on the close screen/minimize/maximize buttons on the top left of windows, because the buttons are very small. Can these be increased in size?

Thanks

I-Mac, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 16, 2008 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2008 6:47 PM

Welcome to the forums! 🙂

Nope, sorry to say... unless you decrease the Screen rez.
10 replies

Jun 17, 2008 9:57 PM in response to BDAqua

OK, thanks for this, a shame that the buttons can not be increased in size without increasing the size of everything else on the screen. It's not as if I can not see everything on my screen, just that the buttons are too small to accurately click with the mouse.

Anyway, a related question, one of the things that I like in Windows is that I can very simply close the open window by hitting the "Escape" button on the keyboard. Makes it easy when multiple windows are open and I want to clean things up a bit, so I click on the active window, hit "Escape" and the active window goes away, which is much easier to do than having to use the mouse to click the (very small) close window button on each and every open window. Hitting "Escape" does not seem to work on a Mac, is there any keyboard alternative?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2008 10:39 PM in response to Palmeros

Yes, CMD+w closes windows, and CMD+h Hides the whole Application.

CMD -Command, or Apple, or 4-leaf clover depending on KB.

Heres more shortcuts...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

a shame that the buttons can not be increased in size without increasing the size of everything else on the screen.

They're working on it, it was supposed to be in some previous release but got put on the back burner I hear.

How do you rate the Mac experience so far... considering it's all new to you?

Jun 18, 2008 5:16 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks very much, again. On the whole the Mac a much better experience even though some things taking a while to get used to. I was annoyed that I paid for Office for Mac when the software is quite a bit different from what I am used to in Windows. Of particular annoyance was the inability to easily transfer Outlook emails from PC over to Outlook on the Mac - a pretty obvious thing that most people switching over would want to do. File storage system is confusing also, but I haven't yet spent the time to work it out. Music and photos, for example, I want all users on the Mac to be able to access, but it requires quite a few steps to organise (have to set-up every user individually) as default is no sharing. I find I-Photo a bit cumbersome also when compared with the simpler folder + preview system on the PC. Back to the folder system, when I download something, I don't know where it goes and I want to be able to select where it gets saved rather than saving to the default folder all the time, which requires me to then move it to where I want it to be.

While I have you here .............

Dumb question perhaps, but how do I select the function keys on top row of my keyboard? I have one of the new aluminium keyboards. Hit F11 and sound goes down, hit F12 and sound goes up, but I can not work out how to hit the F11 key to do the other things it is supposed to do in an application.

In Safari, how can I make all new windows and all pop-ups be loaded as another Tab rather than another screen?

Is there an application that splits my I-mac screen as if I had two screens (without having to manually adjust and size the windows).

Gone a bit off topic, but thanks very much for your help. Is this your job or you do this for sport?

Regards

Jun 18, 2008 11:40 PM in response to Steve M.

For tab browsing do the following
To enable tabbed browsing:

From the Safari menu select Preferences
Select the Tabs icon, then check the box next to Enable tabbed browsing
Close the open window
To open a new tab:
Go to the File menu > New tab
To switch between pages:
Click the tabs under the Bookmarks bar to navigate from one page to another.

To open a link in a new tab:
Hold down the APPLE key and click the link you want to open.

To close a tab:
Click the x to the left of to the title of the page you would like to close

For Pop-ups, when can be turned on or off, but not put as tabs. This option is found under the Safari menu too.

Jun 19, 2008 1:15 AM in response to Palmeros

I want all users on the Mac to be able to access, but it requires quite a few steps to organise (have to set-up every user individually) as default is no sharing.

Could be eeasier, but using this to setup Shares, Groups, Users can really ease things, Sharepoints...
http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

Not on Tiger at the moment, but in Sytem Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse, I think you can set them on a per Application basis.

when I download something, I don't know where it goes and I want to be able to select where it gets saved rather than saving to the default folder all the time

Safari>Preferences>General>Save Downloads to...

In Safari, how can I make all new windows and all pop-ups be loaded as another Tab rather than another screen?

Safari>Preferences>Tabs...

Is there an application that splits my I-mac screen...

Not that I'm aware of.

Is this your job or you do this for sport?

We're all just volunteer mac users here, (sometimes we get accused of being blind zealots though... even if many of my posts point out shortcomings).

I actually came here just over 2 years ago to find a solution to a problem... never did get a reply, but reading through and learning from the masters here, as well as liking to break things to find out how they work, I did pick up much... then you see other human beings having trouble, and the only two choices at every step are to make your world a better place to live, or a worse place to live... and well! 🙂

How to increase size of minimize and other buttons top left of window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.