Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro panics after Boot Camp Restart

I have seen several boot camp restart issues but none like this - pardon if there is one and please point me that way if so.

I recently dropped and recreated my boot camp partition to increase it's size. Which is to say that I have a very "fresh" copy of XP SP2 on board. Also, up to date in windows updates and apple updates for windows. I have few things installed as it use for remote connection mostly and local VMware images.

Here's the good bit.

When I restart from Windows I expect the OS selected in the boot camp control panel to come up. What happens is this...

1. Issue Windows Restart.
2. Windows shuts down.
3. MacBook Pro "chimes" indicating its hard restart.
4. The keyboard lights back up.
5. The screen remains dark.
6. After a time the fans increase in speed.

To recover from this panic state...
1. Press power button to power down MacBook Pro.
2. Press power button to startup MacBook Pro.

I have left the machine in the panic state for many minutes to see if it ever comes back but it does not.
I have cleared parameter ram to no useful effect.

AppleCare 1st level just argued with me that they did not support windows and the ninny would not escalate my issue. Hello, it is a boot camp or firmware issue surely. After all, the darn thing goes through a hardware restart and panics.

Any ideas anyone? Thx much.

Mac Pro 2x3 Dual Core 4G - MacBook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo - 8G iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Boot Camp & Win XP SP2

Posted on Jun 17, 2008 10:19 PM

1 reply

MacBook Pro panics after Boot Camp Restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.