Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility Restore Problems

Hello All,

The Boot Camp Assistant told me that I had to reformat my hard drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) so I:
-Cloned the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner,
-Booted from my external hard drive, and
-Erased my internal disk (Using Disk Utility).

Now, when I try to restore (using Disk Utility) from my external to my internal drive, I get one of two errors:
-RESTORE FAILURE: Lost connection to helper tool.
-RESTORE FAILURE: Could not establish connection with helper tool.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I've gone through this whole thing once before for Boot Camp, but the last time didn't yield any crazy errors...

15" Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 18, 2008 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2008 7:48 AM

This sounds odd, you normally would only need to create a new partition for BootCamp, rather than erasing the entire drive.

I have no idea what is going on to produce those error messages, nor can I find much information with Google - which is unusual.

So the following is based on my best guess.

When you erased the volume, did you set the partition table to be GUID? This is required for Intel Macs. It might be worth repartitioning the startup disk, and making sure that you have the correct options all the way through for your OS X partition:

HFS+ (Journaled)
GUID
(No OS 9 drivers)

Once this is finished, exit Disk Utility.

To restore your clone, use Carbon Copy Cloner from your external drive, and simply back the external drive onto your newly formatted internal drive.

Once CCC has finished, then you can run Boot Camp - and follow [these instructions|http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Boot CampInstall-Setup.pdf]. You don't need to erase your entire Mac Hard drive, the Boot Camp Assistant will create a new partition for Windows.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2008 7:48 AM in response to nickster087

This sounds odd, you normally would only need to create a new partition for BootCamp, rather than erasing the entire drive.

I have no idea what is going on to produce those error messages, nor can I find much information with Google - which is unusual.

So the following is based on my best guess.

When you erased the volume, did you set the partition table to be GUID? This is required for Intel Macs. It might be worth repartitioning the startup disk, and making sure that you have the correct options all the way through for your OS X partition:

HFS+ (Journaled)
GUID
(No OS 9 drivers)

Once this is finished, exit Disk Utility.

To restore your clone, use Carbon Copy Cloner from your external drive, and simply back the external drive onto your newly formatted internal drive.

Once CCC has finished, then you can run Boot Camp - and follow [these instructions|http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Boot CampInstall-Setup.pdf]. You don't need to erase your entire Mac Hard drive, the Boot Camp Assistant will create a new partition for Windows.

Disk Utility Restore Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.