Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Install Firefox 3

After downloading Firefox 3 I get a message when I try to install saying "you do not have sufficient privileges to complete the operation". I tried repairing permissions but this does not help. What is this?

24" iMac Intel based, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jun 19, 2008 9:44 AM

9 replies

Jun 19, 2008 11:41 PM in response to Allan Eckert

{quote}
Hi Itgon;

Maybe you should look at your inability to install Firefox as a blessing. There are now reports that it has serious security holes. I dumped my copy and I will not download it again until another version is released.

That's rich!

Every browser has known vulnerabilities. The exploits you read about for the new FireFox 3 also affect FireFox 2. Most responsible security experts do not release information about a browser problem until the company has had a chance to patch it. In this case, somebody wants a pat on the back, but should expect a lower target.

The article explains this pretty well:

"Browser vulnerabilities, much like rising petrol prices and the inexorable progress of the Italian national team into the knock-out stages of major football competitions, are a fact of life. Hackers undoubtedly scoured the release candidate of Firefox 3.0 for bugs that they could announce soon after the official release of the software and we can expect IE 8 will get much the same fuzzing process as soon as it makes its way out of Redmond."

It's foolish to not upgrade to an improved product just because it hasn't fixed every known issue possible. The new version of FireFox has plugged many possible exploits or problems, just as the latest version of Safari did.

Safari 3.1.1 still has many exploits or problems also:
http://www.google.com/search?q=safari%223.1.1%22vulnerabilties

Safari 3.1.1 was released 4-16-2008, but in a week:
http://secunia.com/advisories/29900

The day after it was released, more information was made available at public sites for a known problem it fixed:
http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2008-1026

I still recommend v3.1.1 to Safari users and the same goes for FireFox 3. There were 14 incremental released to FireFox 2, just as there have already been 3 incremental releases to Leopard in the last 8 months... These are proof of ongoing work to keep up with the crap.

You are supposed to be a moving target to remain reasonably safe and secure. Waiting for perfection will get you the same problems as Windows users with IE 6 (5 years of misery before MS decided to deal with some of the worst of the problems).

Jun 20, 2008 6:12 AM in response to floba

Allan is right. I had the same problem, and after removing any installed version of Firefox before installing the new one the install went well. Also keep in mind that you need admin privileges to remove or install software.

Yes removing the old and installing the new worked. Overall I am very satisfied except that sites with Java Applets do not seem to work. I get a message saying "Java not installed or not working" but Java is installed in Leopard and enabled in Firefox.

Jun 21, 2008 4:53 AM in response to ltgon

I had the same problem installing the software on a second account... My wife account has administration rights as well, but she could not install the Firefox 3.0 web browser latest version.

I found a simple solution:

1- Download and Install the new 3.0 version on the APPLICATION folder. Close the old version whilst installing the new version. During installation process, it will ask you to OVERWRITE the old version; say YES and make sure you have Full ADMINISTRATOR's rights before doing it)

2- After installation open the new browser; then close and shut down the computer. Start the computer and LOG IN into the second account ( this account has to have ADMINISTRATION permissions)

3- In the Second Account , DELETE any old shortcut from the old version in your desktop menu bar

4- Now Go to FINDER and CLICK onto the APPLICATIONS folder

5- Look for FIREFOX.APP icon and double click on it

6- It will automatically shall open the new version.

Jun 25, 2008 12:29 AM in response to rugby_4_life

No, Firefox doesn't store those settings or add-ons inside the application. The bookmarks, home page settings and most of your preferences will be fine (you should look the security settings over to make sure they are what you want).

However, a few of the add-ons, especially the themes are not being updated very quickly. Some of the best are ready to go immediately, and FireFox 3 already has a plugin installed for Windows Media Player compatibility.

AdBlock+, McAfee Site Advisor, ForecastFox, FireFTP, Google Toolbar, Web Developer Toolbar and a host of other popular add-ons are ready. You can check their add-on pages for accurate information about a particular add-on.

I found this page to be pretty accurate, and easy to search. I like to use the Noia Theme, but it's not ready yet 😟
http://people.mozilla.com/~polvi/threedom/status-bars.html

You can keep the older version 2 in your Applications folder if you want by renaming it in some manner so that the installer doesn't over-write it (that's how I tested the beta's and release candidates).

When FireFox 3 first runs, it will flag all of your add-ons and look for compatibility or updates. It will disable any that are not compatible. You can leave them installed and check for updates manually in the future, or you can choose to actually uninstall ones that aren't that important to you.

Cannot Install Firefox 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.