Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upload photos from iPhoto to Snapfish

Brand new to iMac, so may be an obvious answer. When I try and upload photos from Snapfish.com it cannot see the "iPhoto Library" folder and so I cannot navigate to my Photos. Is there a different way to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jun 20, 2008 11:36 PM

10 replies

Jun 20, 2008 11:45 PM in response to ManuBedi

ManuBedi

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

Many sites have an iPhoto plug-in that will facilitate this process for you. Check with Snapfish to see if they have one.

Otherwise:

There are many, many ways to access your files in iPhoto:

For 10.5 users: You can use any Open / Attach / Browse dialogue. On the left there's a Media heading, your pics can be accessed there. Apple-Click for selecting multiple pics.

User uploaded file
Uploaded with plasq's Skitch!

To upload to a site that does not have an iPhoto Export Plug-in the recommended way is to Select the Pic in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export and export the pic to the desktop, then upload from there. After the upload you can trash the pic on the desktop. It's only a copy and your original is safe in iPhoto.

This is also true for emailing with Web-based services. If you're using Gmail you can use THIS

If you use Apple's Mail, Entourage, AOL or Eudora you can email from within iPhoto. With 10.5 you can access the Library from the New Message Window in Mail:

User uploaded file
Uploaded with plasq's Skitch!

If you use a Cocoa-based Browser such as Safari, you can drag the pics from the iPhoto Window to the Attach window in the browser.

Or, if you want to access the files with iPhoto not running, then create a Media Browser using Automator (takes about 10 seconds) or use THIS

Other options include:

1. *Drag and Drop*: Drag a photo from the iPhoto Window to the desktop, there iPhoto will make a full-sized copy of the pic.

2. *File -> Export*: Select the files in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export. The dialogue will give you various options, including altering the format, naming the files and changing the size. Again, producing a copy.

3. *Show File*: Right- (or Control-) Click on a pic and in the resulting dialogue choose 'Show File'. A Finder window will pop open with the file already selected.

Regards

TD

Sep 11, 2008 7:49 PM in response to Yer_Man

I used your directions on getting iPhoto 8 pictures to upload to Snapfish. (referred by Larry N.) However, even though I am using OS 10.5, no Media heading appeared on the left sidebar. Also, I exported the pics I wanted to put on Snapfish into a folder I created on the desktop, then uploaded the pics in that folder to Snapfish. That worked. But in your posting you say you can then trash the pics off the desktop because they are only copies and the originals are still in iPhoto. The photos I exported to the desktop are NOT still in iPhoto. Any idea what I might have donw wrong or why I can't find the Media heading?

Sep 11, 2008 8:12 PM in response to JGray3

no Media heading appeared on the left sidebar

For 10.5 users: You can use any Open / Attach / Browse dialogue. On the left there's a Media heading, your pics can be accessed there. Apple-Click for selecting multiple pics.

This appears when you are using a browser - like Safari - and initiate an upload - there will be a media section at the bottom of the source pane on the left

Also, I exported the pics I wanted to put on Snapfish into a folder I created on the desktop,

How did you "export" the photos? The correct way is to select them in the iPhoto library window and drag them to the desktop folder or to use the iPhoto file ==> export command

Unless you went into the iPhoto library using the finder and drug them out - you should never use the finder inside of the iPhoto library and should never change anything in the iPhoto library - they are still in iPhto - exporting form iPhoto will never causes a photo to be deleted from iPhoto

LN

Sep 11, 2008 8:52 PM in response to LarryHN

+To upload to a site that does not have an iPhoto Export Plug-in the recommended way is to Select the Pic in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export and export the pic to the desktop, then upload from there. After the upload you can trash the pic on the desktop. It's only a copy and your original is safe in iPhoto.+

I used the File -> Export command from iPhoto. I selected multiple pictures from my iPhoto library window and exported them to a folder on my desktop labeled "Exported Photos." I went to the Snapfish site using Safari and uploaded the pictures in the "Exported Photos" folder into Snapfish. I shut down Snapfish and Safari, checked the "Exported Photos" folder, and the pics I had exported from iPhoto were still there. When I went to iPhoto and scrolled through my library, though, the pictures I'd exported to the desktop folder were not in the library. They are just in the folder on the desktop. Maybe the issue is related to my exporting the pictures all together into a folder on the desktop, but it seems like a waste to have to have the photo file icons all over the desktop. Maybe if I actually trashed the Exported Photos folder, the photos would reappear in the iPhoto library; I don't know. Have you tried exporting multiple pics to a desktop folder and then seeing if they are still in your iPhoto library? Obviously I can import them from the folder back into iPhoto, but from what several people have said this should not be necessary.

Sorry so long.
J.

Sep 11, 2008 9:06 PM in response to JGray3

Does it matter if you select multiple pics in the iPhoto window, go File -> Export and export the pics to a folder on the desktop, and then upload? I am trying to figure out if the problem is uploading from a folder. I just tried exporting 4 pics at one time from iPhoto in the way we've been discussing, and like you said, they were still in iPhoto and in the desktop folder. I have not tried uploading them, though. Maybe the problem is in the upload. Guess I'll try it.

Sep 11, 2008 9:21 PM in response to JGray3

+Does it matter if you select multiple pics in the iPhoto window, go File -> Export and export the pics to a folder on the desktop, and then upload? I am trying to figure out if the problem is uploading from a folder.+

Yeah, I'm responding to myself.... Larry, I just went through the upload procedure again, exporting 4 pics from the iPhoto library using the File -> Export command, the going to Snapfish and choosing the pics in that folder to upload. This time everything worked like it should. Pics are still in iPhoto and are also in an album in Snapfish. Have no clue what I did differently. Now can I get the ones that disappeared from the iPhoto library but are in the "Exported Photos" folder I referred to before back into iPhoto? What's the best way? Drag and drop from desktop to iPhoto? Use iPhoto's Import command?

Sep 11, 2008 9:48 PM in response to JGray3

I used the File -> Export command from iPhoto. I selected multiple pictures from my iPhoto library window and exported them to a folder on my desktop labeled "Exported Photos." I went to the Snapfish site using Safari and uploaded the pictures in the "Exported Photos" folder into Snapfish. I shut down Snapfish and Safari, checked the "Exported Photos" folder, and the pics I had exported from iPhoto were still there. When I went to iPhoto and scrolled through my library, though, the pictures I'd exported to the desktop folder were not in the library.

This is not correct - I'm not sure what is wrong but what you describe will work and will not make any changes of any sort to the iPhoto library - and it is correct to export them to a desktop folder

Trashing the export folder will not hlep - and until you are sure that your photos are save I would not delete that folder

Have you tried exporting multiple pics to a desktop folder and then seeing if they are still in your iPhoto library?

Yes - exporting does not change the iphoto library in any way

Old Toad - TD - smtr Ay Thoughts?

LN

Sep 11, 2008 11:26 PM in response to JGray3

I used the File -> Export command from iPhoto. I selected multiple pictures from my iPhoto library window and exported them to a folder on my desktop labeled "Exported Photos." I went to the Snapfish site using Safari and uploaded the pictures in the "Exported Photos" folder into Snapfish.

So far so good.

I shut down Snapfish and Safari, checked the "Exported Photos" folder, and the pics I had exported from iPhoto were still there.

Of course they are. If you upload or download anything from a computer it always sends a copy. When you attach a file to an email, you still have the file after you've sent the email, right?

What do you mean by "I shut down Snapfish"?

When I went to iPhoto and scrolled through my library, though, the pictures I'd exported to the desktop folder were not in the library.

This is the bit that doesn't make sense. Exporting from iPhoto produces a copy. The Original is left untouched in iPhoto. Have you looked in the iPhoto trash? Any possibility they got moved there by accident? As you have the copie son the desktop, then you have the filenames. Search in the Search box (bottom of the iPhoto Window) using those.

Maybe the issue is related to my exporting the pictures all together into a folder on the desktop, but it seems like a waste to have to have the photo file icons all over the desktop.

No it's not related to that

Maybe if I actually trashed the Exported Photos folder, the photos would reappear in the iPhoto library; I don't know.

That definitely won't happen. Hang on to that folder until we get to the bottom of this.

Have you tried exporting multiple pics to a desktop folder and then seeing if they are still in your iPhoto library?

Many, many times

Obviously I can import them from the folder back into iPhoto, but from what several people have said this should not be necessary.

It shouldn't - try the search on filenames.

As you later posts demonstrate how things should happen correctly, we need to explore what's different about your first go.

Regards

TD

Sep 18, 2008 4:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

Sorry so long responding to your suggestions. Got 7-month-old--hard to get away to work on Photos.

+This is the bit that doesn't make sense. Exporting from iPhoto produces a copy. The Original is left untouched in iPhoto. Have you looked in the iPhoto trash? Any possibility they got moved there by accident? As you have the copie son the desktop, then you have the filenames. Search in the Search box (bottom of the iPhoto Window) using those.+

I searched in the iPhoto Search box using several of the file names of the copies I exported to the folder on the desktop, but no go. It's like those photos just vanished out of iPhoto (which I know is NOT supposed to happen.) And the files are not in the iPhoto trash, either. No clue. Should I just re-import them into my iPhoto library from the Desktop folders? I think I have them all backed up on my external HD using Time Machine, though I haven't tried to retrieve files from the TM backups yet.

Thanks for all the continued help, guys....

PS. When I said that I "shut down Snapfish" I just meant the I exited it, or closed it--whatever.

Message was edited by: JGray3

Sep 18, 2008 10:45 PM in response to JGray3

Got 7-month-old--hard to get away to work on Photos.

Nothing gives rise to more photos, nothing takes time away from working on those photos quite like a small person in the house 😉

It's like those photos just vanished out of iPhoto (which I know is NOT supposed to happen.) And the files are not in the iPhoto trash, either. No clue.

I wonder if you've got a damaged database file.

In the iPhoto Window go to the Event that these photos disappeared from and select any pic in the same Event. Right click on that pic and go 'Show File' (or 'Show Original File' if it's available). A Finder window will open with the Event Folder (which is inside your Library) exposed. Are the missing photos also in that folder?

Regards

TD

How do I upload photos from iPhoto to Snapfish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.