Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting exe file to iso

I just downloaded "windows XP.exe" off of my school's ftp site, but Parallels requires Windows in the form of a real CD or an ISO image. How do I convert the EXE file to an ISO image?

Posted on Jun 21, 2008 3:05 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2008 3:59 PM in response to SilverBlue

I think you should look on some Window's sites or Google for some possible links. The Apple Discussions doesn't provide support for Windows. You might ask your school for assistance in the matter. Since Microsoft does not allow free distribution of Windows I suspect you have something illegitimate and won't find much help.

Jun 22, 2008 5:40 PM in response to Kappy

Microsoft allows this kind of distribution of their products only for educational institutions so this is completely legitimate. As long as you are a member of the university you have access to all kinds of software for "free" (technically I'm paying for this through tuition costs). I thought i'd ask the Mac forum in case anyone knew of a Mac software program that converts files to ISO format. I suppose I can do the conversion on a PC and then transfer the ISO to my Mac but that'd be a pain in the butt. So if anyone knows of a Mac-compatible software that converts files to ISO I'd appreciate their help.

Jun 24, 2008 3:19 PM in response to SilverBlue

Hi

I ran into the same problem last year. The exe file I downloaded wasn't the full XP CD image but simply a small program which connects to Microsoft's site and downloads the image. The irony, of course, is that the exe only runs on a Windows system, so I had no way of running it at all.

Solutions are:
- borrow a friend's or the school's Windows computer, do the download and burn it onto a CD.
- or you may have the option to buy a genuine XP install disc at a much reduced price. As far as I recall it was around 8 GBP, which is $16.

Bob

Converting exe file to iso

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.