Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV and ITunes

Just installed an Apple TV and wired with an Ethernet cable to an Airport Extreme which is wired to a Comcast cable modem. My aTV connects with the airport (gets an IP via DHCP) but does not show up in iTunes. When I go to Preferences under iTunes click in Apple TV, with Look for aTV checked, nothing shows. How do I get the device lists or where should I enter the passcode?
Please advice.

Guido

G4, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jun 22, 2008 5:33 AM

11 replies

Jun 22, 2008 5:59 AM in response to Chenks

The Music folder on my G4 is a Shared Folder with read/write permission to everyone.

On the aTV when I manually enter the IP & router info I get a message that the aTV is connected to the Internet

When I click on settings>computers on aTV I am given a passcode that needs to be entered in iTunes, but in iTunes no aTV shows up (where is the device list; I take it under preferences the AppleTV needs to be clicked...but the box remains empty????

Jun 22, 2008 6:04 AM in response to guido Deboeck

guido Deboeck wrote:
The Music folder on my G4 is a Shared Folder with read/write permission to everyone.

this has nothing to do with itunes sharing.
make sure that the "share my library" is ticked in the itunes sharing preferences.

next thing to do is make sure the OSX firewall is turned off (you can turn it back on and open up the ports later on).

the device list is on the main itunes screen (where the itunes store link is, usually on the left).

Jun 22, 2008 6:44 AM in response to Chenks

Could you please give me directions to where firewall on/off is in leopard. I think I know where it is, but maybe I have been going to the wrong place. As far as I know my firewall has been off and I have had the disappearing ATV since I took it out of the box. So far wirelessly, itunes has not lost connectivity to ATV. Strange very strange.

Jun 22, 2008 7:10 AM in response to jedicpa

You wrote "comes and goes" and iTunes has not lost aTV using wireless network....which implies that within iTunes you see aTV, do you? I don't using either wireless or hardwired. You problem may be due to signal strength. Check Settings> General> Network. At the bottom of the listing on which IP / router you are using is a signal strength indicator!
Cab you help to the point where you at least see your aTV in iTunes?

Apple TV and ITunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.