Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download speed

What does it usually take to download a movie (say 1.5 GB) from iTunes via cable (Comcast in my case)? I downloaded a 1.15 Gb movie and it took 30 minutes (which is only 0.63 Mbps. I read on AppleInsider that typical internet downloads should be between 1.5 and 3 Mbps. Did I get the lower speed because I was also sync-ing my AppleTV at the same time? What is the best way to optimize downloading from iTunes Store?

G4, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jun 23, 2008 11:35 AM

8 replies

Jun 23, 2008 12:11 PM in response to guido Deboeck

there is no precise calculation on this.

in the UK throttling can happen 24 hours a day, but increases during peak times (4pm - midnight). most ISPs will say that they don't throttle, but almost all with "traffic shape" to some extent (there are exceptions though).

a few month back there was a US ISP (it may have been comcast) that made some changes to their "traffic shaping" and it virtually killed itunes. big fuss in the news etc, it was retracted but who knows what level they still do it at.

Jun 23, 2008 2:12 PM in response to guido Deboeck

What does it usually take to download a movie (say 1.5 GB) from iTunes via cable (Comcast in my case)? I downloaded a 1.15 Gb movie and it took 30 minutes (which is only 0.63 Mbps).

I suspect you are mixing bits (b) and bytes (B)

A 1.5 GB movie is 12 Gb in size. If this were downloaded in 30 minutes ( 30x60=1800 sec) the download speed would be 6.67 Mb/sec (that's megabits/sec)

You went on to say "1.15 Gb movie" - that would only be a 143.75 MB movie and is much smaller than any of the full movies I have downloaded. For example, the 720HD third trailer of WALL*e runs 2 min 29 sec and is 101.7 MB. Your movie seems more likely to be 1.15 GB.

In any event, your speed is a lot better than I get with DSL on old copper telephone lines - you should be happy!

Download speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.