Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing server string manually in 10.5

Hi,

I am configuring Macs for a company and have come up against an issue.

I am setting up Samba sharing and need to manually edit the smb server string.
Under 10.4 I could edit /etc/smb.conf and remove the line,
+;Using the Computer Name to compute the NETBIOS name. Remove this comment to override+, and then change the server string and NetBIOS name entries in smb.conf to what was needed.

This no longer exists in 10.5.

The problem we have with using the Computer Name is that we a want a standardised way for computers to show up in the Workgroup list in Windows. We use a ID number for the computer name, and then the server string to show the department and user name of the computer.

I can set the NetBIOS name okay in Network prefs, but the only way to get the server string correct is to change the Computer Name in Sharing Prefs. Unfortunately we also want the Macs to show up in the OS X network browser identified by the Machine ID number. So the Computer Name and server string are at odds with each other.

I can temporarily get everything right by editing /var/db/smb.conf, but that gets reset if I make any changes in Network Prefs.

/var/db/smb.conf seems to override /etc/smb.conf. I can't find any documentation on how I should be manually set the smb prefs properly so any help would be appreciated.

-Justin

Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 25, 2008 5:19 PM

1 reply

Changing server string manually in 10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.