Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop Mac OS from adding hidden files to SD cards?

Hi all,

I have noticed that Mac OS has been adding hidden files to my SD cards and FAT formatted flash drives. How do I tell Mac OS to NOT put its special files on FAT formatted file systems?

Thanks,
Steven

2.66MHz Mac Pro; 9GB RAM; ATI X1900; 2x 250GB 750GB, 1TB HDs, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Dual Dell 2405FPW LCDs + Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers

Posted on Jun 26, 2008 8:37 AM

6 replies

Jun 26, 2008 8:59 AM in response to Steven Whatley

Unless you reformat the SD and flash drives as Mac HFS or HFS+ format, you can't. Those hidden files (hidden to the Mac user because they start with a period) are the resource fork information for each file. The Mac OS has to do it this way to prevent losing that information since it's impossible to save two data forks on a Windows/DOS formatted drive/card/etc. When you copy a file back to a Mac from such a drive, the two items are recombined as a standard Mac file.

Jun 26, 2008 9:52 AM in response to V.K.

Be aware that if you follow V.K's advice, you could lose information vital to the files. For instance, mac legacy TrueType fonts and Type 1 PostScript fonts have all of their data in the resource fork. If you remove the ._ files, your fonts will have nothing left of them. The resource fork also stores desktop thumbnails, Type and Creator codes, time stamp and other items.

Jun 26, 2008 10:30 AM in response to sob28

If you burned it as ISO 9660 from your Mac, then it's possible. In a case like that, you do want to get rid of those files right before you burn the disk. Say an MP3 is named dirtydancing.mp3. OS X then creates the resource fork file . _dirtydancing.mp3. All of the music data is in the main file and the . _ file holds nothing important for playing the .mp3. But the player doesn't know that. It sees another file with a .mp3 extension and tries to play it.

Hmm, the new forum software is trying to treat the . _ (without the space in between) as a command to underline the text. Had to change them. Stranger, it didn't do that above.

How to stop Mac OS from adding hidden files to SD cards?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.