Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari refuses to install.. keeps on saying I need 10.5.2 or Greater..

Safari crashed today and wouldn't start up again. I decided to delete and reinstall Safari.. the problem is after I downloaded Safari 3.1.1 from Apple it refused to install. It kept on saying: Need 10.5.2 or greater, but I have installed 10.5.3.. can anyone help me?

G4 Yikes 350Mhz, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 27, 2008 6:46 PM

9 replies

Jun 28, 2008 8:09 AM in response to Byron Fisher

The first problem is that you deleted something without understanding the ramifications of what you were doing. You need to stop that or you will hose your entire system. Just because something crashes or it won't startup does not mean the problem will be solved by reflexively deleting it.

You'll need to go back to your Mac OS X install discs and look for one that says Optional Installs and use that to install Safari. First you need to go to /Applications/Library/Receipts and remove the Safari311.pkg receipt.

Mulder

Jun 29, 2008 2:45 PM in response to Mulder

OK, this is weird. Safari is now working just fine. I did not do anything. I contacted my ISP (Comcast) just to check if they were in the middle of an upgrade or something to make Safari temporarily unusable. But no, there was no work going on.

I'm going to have to chalk it up to one of the "mysteries of life". I don't know if the original user is still having problems.

Safari refuses to install.. keeps on saying I need 10.5.2 or Greater..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.