Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DOA PowerMac G5

Hello,

I am hoping that there may be some tech savvy people here who can advise me. My PowerMac G5 2.5 duo processors recently started acting up. There were times that the power button would not function. Could not shut it down and sometimes couldn't start it up. Other times it worked. I took it into the Apple Store and they gave it a complete going over. Tried a new power button unit, which didn't solve the problem. Next they replaced the power supply which that didn't help. After a couple of weeks they decided the problem was either a bad logic board or one of the processors were faulty.

The computer is 3 1/2 years old. Fortunately I was able to back up everything I needed and purchased a new G5 MacPro. I would like to sell the old computer for parts only. I was wondering if I should try to disassemble some of the good parts like hard drive, memory etc. and sell them separately or should I just sell the whole unit as is?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 30, 2008 8:09 PM

2 replies

Jul 2, 2008 8:44 PM in response to DaddyPaycheck

Hi DP,

Thank you for your reply. I have checked out Ebay and some folks have been selling the parts while others are selling the whole unit. I will probably piece meal a few things like memory and super drive and sell the rest for whatever I can get out of it. It's disappointing that a computer like the G5 becomes a pile of junk after only 3 1/2 year. My very first Mac from 1985 still fires up and runs!

DOA PowerMac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.