Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All users, including root, appear to have lost admin privileges

Heya, Not sure what sparked this, but today I found that I was no longer an admin user on my imac...
So I followed the instructions from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1278

However... when logging in as root, i still cannot grant admin privileges to another user, and the root user or 'system administrator' is listed as a 'standard' account too... and I cannot grant admin rights to that user either... fun fun!

what have i done wrong? 🙂
also please help me!

Message was edited by: The Spaff

Imac, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2008 9:47 AM

6 replies

Jul 2, 2008 9:36 AM in response to The Spaff

that's what I thought. the Directory service entry for the admin group got corrupted and needs to be recreated.

This has to be done from single user mode now. Restart and hold command+S at the chime. you'll see a black screen with some white text.
There are a bunch of commands for you to enter. Please make sure you enter them EXACTLY as I give them. That's very important.

At the prompt enter

/sbin/fsck -fy
\\

Let it work (it will take a while). that's the command to repair the drive. if it reports any errors run it again till there are none. If you can't get rid of errors do not proceed with other commands and enter

reboot

This will reboot the computer. Post back.
If there are no errors you can proceed.
enter

/sbin/mount -uw /

Then enter

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist

and next

rm /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/groups/admin.plist

This will delete the corrupt entry for the admin group. The next command will create it correctly.
\\
dseditgroup -o create -i 80 admin

Next we need to add your user and the root user to the newly created admin group.
That's done with the following two commands:

dscl . append /groups/admin GroupMembership root

dscl . append /groups/admin GroupMembership short-user-name

Put the short name of your user instead of short-user-name in the above. Note that there is a space before and after "." in the above commands.

That ought to do it. Now restart by entering

reboot

Your admin group should be back with you in it. Post back if there are any problems. Also, none of above command except the very first one should produce any feedback. If they do you've done something wrong. do not proceed and reenter them correctly.

Message was edited by: V.K.

Aug 7, 2008 10:11 PM in response to V.K.

you sir are a god! I am not sure if this is a coincidence but the only meaningful thing i did between the last time i remember using the admin account and now was installing a mcafee virus scan app. I couldn't find anything online that would attribute the admin group corruption on the virus scan but I have disabled it just to be safe.

Carlos

All users, including root, appear to have lost admin privileges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.