Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon D300 recognition

My Mac doesn't recognize my Nikon D300. The camera icon doesn't show up on the desktop. I'm able to access and download photos via Image Capture and/or Lightroom. But when NIkon offered a firmware upgrade, I had to do it via an old D200, which did show up on the desktop.

It doesn't matter whether the images are RAW or jpg, the Mac desktop doesn't recognize the camera or the card reader with the D300 CF card loaded.

Macbook Pro 2 ghz, Mac G5 dual 1.8 ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2008 1:28 PM

10 replies

Jul 26, 2008 10:14 AM in response to Clark Addison

You need to change the USB option to "Mass Storage" in the camera setup menu before you connect the D300 to the Mac. Then the camera mount on the desktop. As a default the USB option is set to MTP/PTP, which is what you want to have the camera on during regular use to get Photoshop/Lightroom etc. to recognise the camera and start the picture download program.

The whole procedure for installation of the firmware update is described in detail here:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/popupadp.php?p_sid=Pu1K1K9j&p_lva=13783&p_li=&p_faqid=15926&p_created=1214586366&psp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xMjgzLDEyODMmcF9wcm9kc z0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZ T0x

Nikon D300 recognition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.