Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not open "www us army mil/" or most related web sites ...

I use the site a lot at work; it is also known as ako. It is a site created for use by US DoD personnel. If you type: - ako - into google several links appear. I can only open the one for their help page and their publicly available information page. The other pages start to connect then freeze, eventually I get a message that says:

"Safari could not open the page “ http://www.us.army.mil/” because the server is not responding."

So far I have tried taking off pop up blockers, emptying the cache in my Safari menu, deleting all cookies, using Firefox instead of Safari, calling the "ako" help desk who did not do much, and loading all available updates for my Mac OS X (10.4.11).

Please advise:

Any help appreciated. I have had no other problems with loading web pages from across the internet. This has been an issue for me for a month or more, I just started working hard on a solution the last week or so due to no longer having my Dell with Windows which could open this page. I am relatively new to Mac systems, and not that computer savvy so if you know the answer, please simplify it if you have the time.

V/R

Super_B..

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 2, 2008 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2008 8:18 AM

I had no problem loading that site in both Safari and Firefox, so it would seem the problem is either with the Army servers, or your ISPs servers.

Deleting the cache, cookies, and turning off popup blocking won't help with this; it actually works against you.

Try changing your DNS settings to see if that improves things; just write down the current ones if you ever decide to go back to them. First, quit Safari and Mail, if either are running.

1. Launch System Preferences and click on the Network icon.
2. Click on the Configure button in that new window.
3. In the next window, click on TVP/IP if it isn't already selected.
4. In the box labeled "DNS Servers:" enter these numbers:
5. Click the Apply Now button.
6. Quit System Preferences.

Launch Safari and see if you can connect to those sites.

Mulder
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2008 8:18 AM in response to Super_Buttercup

I had no problem loading that site in both Safari and Firefox, so it would seem the problem is either with the Army servers, or your ISPs servers.

Deleting the cache, cookies, and turning off popup blocking won't help with this; it actually works against you.

Try changing your DNS settings to see if that improves things; just write down the current ones if you ever decide to go back to them. First, quit Safari and Mail, if either are running.

1. Launch System Preferences and click on the Network icon.
2. Click on the Configure button in that new window.
3. In the next window, click on TVP/IP if it isn't already selected.
4. In the box labeled "DNS Servers:" enter these numbers:
5. Click the Apply Now button.
6. Quit System Preferences.

Launch Safari and see if you can connect to those sites.

Mulder

Jul 2, 2008 10:54 AM in response to Mulder

Thanks for the detailed suggestion Mulder. I've read some of your other threads for useful tips and advice. However, I tried it, and still have the same problem.

I called my Internet provider, they offered some tips including resetting my wireless router. I have done all this and I am still getting the same results. I will be calling my Internet provider back one more time later, as they had one other idea, but I needed to be on the phone with them.

However, If any new thoughts, suggestions, or ideas arise please pass them along.

Regards,

Super_B.

Jul 12, 2008 10:21 PM in response to Mulder

Thanks for the help Mulder. I gave up for a while, and just got back to dealing this problem tonight. Anyway I got an idea after reviewing another one of your responses. It was Topic : "I am having trouble opening a particular web page." posted July 9th ref: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1590386&tstart=105

Any way I had already messed with my preferences a lot, but I tried one more thing which I should have done at first. I unchecked everything under the security tab, as several blocks were checked, and changed "accept cookies" to "ALWAYS".

The web page tried to do something this time but instead the page was just blank. I went back into preferences and re-checked "Enable Javascript" as you had suggested on the other thread. Well, IT WORKED!!! I am happy, I can open the page now.

I don't know which block(s) I needed to change, but I feel better knowing that it was nothing to big as near as I can tell. I still think AKO has some issues with its site, perhaps its security certs, but anyway this seemed to resolve my problem. Again I appreciate all the help.

Cheers

Super_B :)

Jul 29, 2008 11:46 AM in response to Super_Buttercup

I have been having the same problem with this. I've had it work before on Safari, but I think recent updates or when I reloaded the operating system may have affected it and now I can't connect to AKO with Safari or FireFox. I've tried all the suggestions already posted thus far short of calling the help desk and my ISP.

I've also noticed that I can access this site on my iPhone using 3G but not with my wifi network. I am rocking a Time Capsule, so I suspect that there may be some Time Capsule settings that need tweaking, but I have no idea where to start.

Any other suggestions?

Much appreciated

Message was edited by: Apples and Bananas

I can not open "www us army mil/" or most related web sites ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.