Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to play classical continuously?

I have created a separate playlist for each classical CD. How can I get iTunes to play these continuously? The need really arises now I've transferred this music to the iPod for playing in the car. On a long trip, having the music stop at the end of one playlist, and needing to select the next and then start it, is nearly as bad as having to feed the individual CDs into the slot. How can I link the playlists so they'll play continuously in the iPod? Or does the music have to be set up differently?

Posted on Oct 21, 2005 6:02 PM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2005 6:31 PM in response to Geoffrey Luck

You could have a playlist with all your classical tunes for a journey in, as well as individual playlists. Playlists are aliases and therefore by having a tune in more than one playlist won't mean putting more than one copy of the tune on your ipod.

Another option (and I know it's not really what you asked) is to rip your classical CD's as one track and make the playlist on the go, on the ipod. I rip some of my classical albums as one track, because it stops the gaps between tunes (which can be a little annoying with classical music)

Oct 21, 2005 7:28 PM in response to Geoffrey Luck

Thanks Winston.
Since posting, I have had a thought: what if I create a separate playlist for each CD (or even one containing all the Mozart piano sonatas for example) and then can create an “album” and put that playlist and all others in it. It seems (but unconfirmed as yet) that copying this album into the iPod would permit it to play continuously in the order in which a) works were arranged in each playlist; and b) the order in which playlists were arranged in the album. I could break my library into several albums which would still allow many hours of continuous playing in each. I would be stuck with that order of play unless or until I dragged the works or the playlists into a different order.
What do you think?

Oct 21, 2005 11:06 PM in response to Geoffrey Luck

OK - here's the solution.....(If in doubt, ask your grandson!):

In the iPod, go to Music> Playlists and scroll down to the bottom of your list of playlists. You will find an option "On-the-Go". The first time you access this, it will give the instructions to compile a continuous music file for your travels. So - scroll back up your playlists. To add a COMPLETE playlist (in my case the full CD of music by a composer) highlight the playlist, then press and hold down the central button. The highlighted playlist will flash several times and then stop. To add only, say, one movement of a work, or one aria, go into that playlist, highlight the item, press and hold down the central button. "On-the-Go" becomes one giant playlist, without disturbing your playlist strategy. The works are played back in the order in which you entered them.
Hope this helps other classical listeners.

How to play classical continuously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.