Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Upgrade to 10.4

I posted
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1588934&stqc=true
my original post was;
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1544107&stqc=true
I was now directed here.....

I purchased 10.4 upgrade & also Photoshop CS3.
My computer will not let me install the upgrade. I tried unhooking everything except my SCSI card, a zip drive is still attached. Will remove that next.

I really think the SCSI card might be the problem, but don't know how to remove this. It was installed when I ordered the computer from MAC warehouse in 2002(unsure of year).
I have tried installing from startup disk(DVD) & from the disk(DVD) on my desktop.
I keep getting a white screen with a grey apple...seems to freeze at that point.
Not sure what my next option is. ;(

do I need the SCSI card professional removed?
help?
My system:
Mac OS X Version 10.3.9
Memory:512 MB
Processor:800MHz PowerPC G4

G4, Mac OS X (10.3.x), Memory:512 MB, Processor:800MHz PowerPC G4

Posted on Jul 8, 2008 9:08 AM

1 reply

Jul 8, 2008 10:49 AM in response to Marie Marcy

from your system info you have a G4 Quicksilver 2002, with a single 800 cpu?

What kind of SCSI card do you have, I have an Adaptec SCSI Card 2906, You will probably need to upgrade or reinstall the firmware for the SCSI card after you upgrade your system software.

I vaguely remember having to remove the SCSI card for one of the past OSX's upgrades. I can not remember if it was Jaguar or Tiger, You should be able to remove the SCSI card yourself. Just open the the side panel and you will see the SCSI Card is in a PCI slot. You will need a Phillis head #2 screwdriver to remover the one screw that holds the PCI card in place, You can't miss it. Then holding the card at each end, firmly but gently, lift out the card. It may stick so you may need to lift one end up slightly and then lift the other end slightly, in a sea-saw motion.

once the card is out, try to load the upgrade.

tip, when ever I open the Mac, I use that time to clean the inside. I have usually found that a good vacuum cleaning is in order.

Cannot Upgrade to 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.