Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental controls and Itunes store

Is any other parent having an issue with the iTunes store and parental controls in Leopard. Even though I have parental controls on my daughters mac set to let her use iTunes and I assume the store, she is locked out unless I cutoff parental controls. This issue started on the release of the newest version of iTunes. Has anyone else run into this issue and if so how did you over come it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 8, 2008 2:33 PM

18 replies

Aug 8, 2008 8:40 PM in response to jedicpa

Same issue. Started after the upgrade to iTunes 7.7.1 for me. After a long delay I get an Error -4.

I noticed some 'Unknown' sites being blocked in the Parental Controls Logs but even after 'Allow'ing access to those sites, no such luck.

As a work around I was able to use the mini-store to access different parts of the iTunes store and then navigate from there...however, you still cannot access the iTunes Store home page using this method.

Aug 11, 2008 3:32 AM in response to jedicpa

I agree. If parental controls is enabled it blocks the iTunes store. Apple are becoming increasingly weak at delivering proper functionality for their "integrated" systems these days.

I would rather have parental controls enabled than disable it merely to allow Apple to sell some stuff via the iTunes Store. Commercially uninspiring from Apple. Come on guys, you must read this forum - get a grip!

Aug 14, 2008 7:41 AM in response to end67

My son could not interact with sites (log in, post) but he could access them (when parental controls were turned on). I had to go under "preferences" on Firefox (under his name) First go to the drop down the menu from the word "Firefox" then "Preferences" "Privacy" (at the top) then "Exceptions" on the right..... and add each address of the sites and pages I wanted to allow. That worked like a charm!! Maybe pull up the itunes STORE address, copy and paste it in "always allow" (you can choose "block" also.....) This is in Firefox PREFERENCES, not just the parental control section.....

Let us know if that helped! Apple was NO help. (I am an Apple fan, but I am not paying 49.99 to get a question answered by someone who didn't sound like he knew anything, anyway...) I think when you pay for a computer you deserve to have ALL the features work... Is that too much to ask?

Parental controls and Itunes store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.