Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defective MacBook Pro / Disable Firmware Protection

Hi everyone,

The screen/video card died (for the 2nd time) and I cannot see anything even if I connect an external display.

I will take it to Apple for a second repair as the AppleCare agent refused to replace it. Apple gave me back my repaired MBP on June 6th and by June 14th it died again. I think this is unacceptable and will request a replacement.

The main problem is that I had enabled the Firmware Protection option from the Leopard Install DVD before the display died (again). Now I can't even boot in Firewire mode to backup my stuff from the HD before taking it to the store.

Does anyone know how to disable this Firmware Protection? I have already tried to reset the PRAM but was unsuccessful.

Please help me!

Thanks!

Percy

17" MacBook Pro, Hi-Res widescreen, 2.4HGz, 160GB 7200rpm HD, 4GB RAM, eSata, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 8, 2008 9:02 PM

8 replies

Jul 12, 2008 2:19 PM in response to YoQuieroTacoBell

You should be holding down the option key if this is an intel mac-
sorry removing ram didnt help..after checking this forum <a href"http://macosx.com/forums/archive/t-270395.html">link i think maybe you should take out the ram, and then boot the machine [as far as you can] via AC adapter, and then put ram back in..

I know it can be done...just got my imac back from the genius bar and they were able to override the openfirmaware password without me giving it to them.

Jul 15, 2008 12:31 PM in response to YoQuieroTacoBell

I also began having wake-from-sleep problems in June with my 11-month old MBP (OSX 10.5.4, specs below). Yes, for the first time since owning 11 Macs since 1985, I will be buying a 3yr warranty soon.

I found that my MBP was actually waking--and my automatic Time Machine Backups confirmed this--but there was no video signal to the screen, nor to external video. My logic board was replaced by Apple two weeks ago, but this did nothing. The second time I brought it in, the tech woke up my screen by powering down, removing the battery, plugging in his AC adapter for a bit over a minute, and then restarting. When the battery is reinstalled, it seems to work fine again. I have replicated this at home.

More observations: Leaving the computer running on battery only and letting it go to sleep for under 2 hours does NOT usually invoke this disfunction. However, when I leave my AC adapter connected and I am away for over a few hours (such as overnight), the video invariably fails.

Note that I leave the AC adapter Energy Saver settings to put the display to sleep after 5 minutes, but I leave the 'upper' (logic board) sleep control on "Never," as I often render long HDV video projects over lunch or overnight.

My 6300 mAh battery shows a capacity of 5772 mAh and my power adapter is putting out its rated power, so this does not appear to be a power source problem. (I have not tested the power supply itself.)

One of us will find a solution soonest, so let's get this thread back on track and share it.

Defective MacBook Pro / Disable Firmware Protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.