Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ctrl C and ctrl V

I have lived too long in the Windows world. But, without even thinking about it, I use ctrl C for copying and ctrl V for pasting. The keys are just the right distance apart to make this easy. On my Intel MacBook, I have to use the Apple key and either C or V to copy and paste. For me, those keys are too close together to make this fast and comfortable.

Also when I boot to Windows, I have to use one key combination and when I boot to Mac, I have to use a different combination.

Is there a way to re-map the keys for copy/pasting when running Leopard?

TIA,
Linda

Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 9, 2008 2:16 PM

5 replies

Oct 6, 2008 9:32 PM in response to anmldr

Has anyone figured this out? Modifying the keys through Keyboard Shorcuts in System Preferences appears to work but doesn't. It will modify the Firefox keys when you view the Edit pull-down menu while in Firefox. When you hit Ctrl-C, it seems to execute the shortcut but doesn't work. I have also tried the keyconfig extension for Firefox and that doesn't work either. I have Firefox 3.0.3 with a Microsoft Keyboard. I would love to figure this out since I work on a PC 8+ hours/day while at work.

Oct 7, 2008 6:36 AM in response to discbrown

Setting an application shortcut for All Applications to Ctrl-C (and Paste to Ctrl-V) worked for me when copying text in Safari, and it worked both copying and pasting in Text Edit, but the copy did not work in Firefox. (Though right-click and choosing copy from the pop-up menu did work, and it also worked with with standard Apple-C when I removed the application shortcut.) Perhaps it's an issue with Firefox?

It does work in Safari.

ctrl C and ctrl V

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.