Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7.3.2 problem resolved!

Executive summary: I turned on *Use interface robustness* in the *Wireless Options* settings in AirPort Utility.

I bought my Airport Extreme 802.11n base station last October to replace a flaky Netgear 802.11g rig. The AEBS worked flawlessly until last week when I accepted the invitation to upgrade the firmware. I'd upgraded once before with no problems, no big deal. Wrong.

After the upgrade I couldn't connect any of the wireless devices that I normally use - Mac Mini, Apple TV, Nokia Internet Tablet, and iBook. I read the forums and tried all the suggestions: reverted to 7.3.1, rolled all the way back to 7.2 but none of the firmware versions behaved any differently. I reverted my AirPort Utility to 5.3.1. I performed multiple factory resets by pushing that little button with a paperclip and holding it for 10 seconds. I power cycled the thing. I removed power overnight and let it rest. I even slaughtered a chicken at midnight.

I tried everything. And then I looked up when I bought it and found out it's still under warranty. So I went to the Genius Bar, and of course it worked there. Naturally when I returned home, it still didn't work. I fiddled with it some more. I took it out of the computer closet and plugged it in at my desk, and it started working again. At the Apple store they tested it on a bench where everything was real close; maybe this is a distance problem, says I.

I had a vague recollection of some advanced settings that sounded like they may have something to do with bandwidth or power. I found the "Transmit Power" setting, but it was at 100%. However, on the same page at the bottom is a checkbox for "Use interface robustness" and the description says, "Interface robustness can solve interference problems caused by other devices ..."

It wasn't checked, and I honestly can't remember if it was checked before the firmware update or not. I don't think I had this enabled, but I'm not certain. Anyway, that was one of the few configuration options I hadn't tried since the firmware update, so I checked the little box and rebooted the AEBS. And VOILA! WiFi is back!!

Hope this helps someone...

MDD Power Mac G4, iBook G4, Mini G4, iMac G5, Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Nokia N800

Posted on Jul 9, 2008 7:28 PM

3 replies

7.3.2 problem resolved!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.