Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes stalling like a bad CD

I just got a new PowerBook with the latest version of Tiger and iTunes 6.0.1. It has worked fine for the first week, but tonight something WEIRD started happening: during playback, my mp3's keep stalling like a bad CD. When I hit the space bar, the music stops, and it resumes when I hit it again as though nothing had happened. I can go back and replay the section where the stall occurred, and it goes just fine, so I think the mp3 files are okay. A little later, though it happens again, either on the same tune or the next one. What is happening here? Any suggestions?

-matt

Posted on Nov 7, 2005 10:06 PM

8 replies

Nov 8, 2005 7:24 AM in response to mwbutter

I'm having the same problem. It happens inconsistently -- sometimes a track plays fine, and later the same track has this problem; or vice versa. The counter keeps running normally, but the audio simply stops. After a second or two, the audio resumes from the new counter position. So the problem isn't really skipping -- it's periods of silence within the music. In my case, the problem first surfaced after I got my Powerbook G4 back from service. They had replaced the hard drive. It never happened before, and now it's happening all the time.

Nov 8, 2005 2:39 PM in response to Michael Riggs

I'm not sure this is the same problem I was describing. There's no silence--rather, it's like the sound gets bottled up, like it's blocked, as when a scratched CD gets stuck. Oddly enough, the same thing just happened during DVD playback.

I have 1 gig memory, so I don't think that's the problem. Last night, I was running Word and Safari when it happened--it's conceivable there was some interference from CBS Sportsline's fantasy football site, but I wasn't running anything else when it happened during DVD playback. I haven't been able to discern any pattern yet.

-matt

Jan 16, 2006 2:12 PM in response to mwbutter

Hiya,

This is the same problem I'm having that is causing me a lot of headaches.

Exactly the same thing, hit the space, or click the pause, and then start again and it goes.

It started happening around the time I upgraded to 10.2 (which was less than a month ago, as I've been running 10.1.2 for 4 years now without problems, I just needed to be able to get Safari and use some other tools). It also coincides with me getting ClearWire.

Since then, i've wiped everything, rebuilt the OS, and tried to duplicate it.

The problem I had with the OS 10.1 and 10.2 was that my mouse was stalling. I just unplug and replug into the keyboard, and that goes away.

With iTunes, the problem started to cause the mouse to skip, I'd hear popping sounds that meshed with the skips. iTunes would halt at the first pop, and not start (the pop is one of the standard Mac sounds, don't know which).

iTunes tends to work fine alone. Open a web browser and it skips. Right now, it's not skipping and I have both ie and Safari up.

I never thought about it until yesterday, but iChat is open most of the time. It is not open currently.

As I can figure it out, iTunes and iChat conflict for something, and it's aggrivated with the web browsers open, possible since they're always on now with ClearWire (never EVER had the problem using dial up). I'm going to leave iTunes open for a while, and not use iChat for the same time tonight and see what happens.

The problem was happening with iTunes on OS 10.1, and I don't know the version number. Currently, it's iTunes 6.0.2, and it still happens.

John M.

iTunes stalling like a bad CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.