Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Airport on Macbook Pro

Hi,

I've just bought a 2.4Ghz MBP and have done a fresh erase install of Leopard. Everything appeared to be successful until I tried to connect to my wireless network.

Looking in System Profiler under Network, the Airport Card entry read 'No information found'.

I've connected via ethernet and downloaded 10.5.4 combo update, done a PRAM sync, a SMC reset and booted into Safe Mode and still no joy.

BTW my wireless network is working fine wih my macbook, imac, ipod touch, apple TV and wii.

Any suggestions ?

TIA,
Neil

17" C2D iMac C2D MacBook 16Gb iPod Touch C2D MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 10, 2008 1:37 PM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2008 2:17 PM in response to discostu514

I did an erase and install since it's easier to not install language packs and demo software than removing it manually 🙂

System prefs says gives the not installed and no options to turn airport on (it's not even listed) in network options panel.

Booted from OSX DVD and looked in profiler and still no airport recognised. Wondering if it's a hardware problem.

Jul 10, 2008 7:59 PM in response to neh0

Is this a 15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo and did you install using a copy of the Leopard retail DVD?

If so, your machine originally shipped with a newer version of Leopard than on the retail DVD, and as such it must be (re)installed using the Software Restore disc that shipped with the machine.

This is because new drivers are added to Mac OS X to support model-specific hardware over time, and the reason you're not seeing AirPort as available is because the proper device drivers weren't present.

One way to verify this is to boot from your Software Restore DVD and note whether the AirPort interface is present when you do that.

If so, you'll need to do a new install using the Software Restore DVD.

Jul 11, 2008 5:03 AM in response to neh0

Software Update only updates installed software so, for example, if the 10.5 drivers for your hardware were not installed the 10.5.4 update would not install them.

However if you are using the Software Restore DVD that shipped with your system and it does not see the AirPort card I suspect the failure (or disconnection) of your system's internal AirPort card.

No Airport on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.