Previous 1 2 3 Next 119 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2008 6:08 AM by Jules Gray
blakeables Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Every song I play that has a non-standard English character is getting renamed as soon as it starts playing.
An example:
Artist: Sigur Rós - *Song Title:* Ágætis Byrun

will be retagged as

Artist: Sigur RÛs - *Song Title:* ¡gÊtis Byrjun

There are a lot of songs in my library that will be afflicted by this problem if this problem continues. I've done a re-install of 7.7 but the problem is still there.

iMac 2.16GHZ C2D, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • yksoft1 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    This also occur to non-Unicode Chinese characters.
  • jens-erich Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Same here with iTunes 7.7 (43) german localization.
    iTunes is defininately not usable at the moment because it messes up the song info permanently.

    How can i inform apple directly of this bug?

    How can i reinstall the previous version?
  • Christophe Canus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    HI,

    Exactly the same problem occurs with itunes 7.7 on both powerbook on 10.3 and mac mini on 10.4. Don't know if it appears on 10.5.
    As far as I'm concerned, I've detected it when reading french and brazilian songs
    which often used characters with accentuation. Seems to be a i18n bug.
    The strange thing is that it appends only when reading. Didn't check if it change the id3 tags of the files also or if it is only the XML file which is modified.
  • r_howie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    This bug is very annoying. I have to rename back my non-English songs to their correct title, after having listened to them.

    For the time being I will stop using iTunes, until Apple fixes this.
  • cowboyspiegel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Having the same problem, which renders iTunes fairly unusable until this bug is fixed as a lot of music is affected.
  • Markus Altendorff Level 2 Level 2 (255 points)
    Hi,

    I've reinstalled my previous iTunes (good thing I usually download the standalone installer and keep that around...).

    First run: "This version of the iTunes library was created by a newer version" -> quit.

    Lucky guess: ~user/Music/iTunes/ -> voila! There is a folder "Previous iTunes Libraries", and in there was the (automatically created by iTunes) backup. Copied this over to /iTunes, renamed it (it had the current year/month/date added), and I'm back up and running with the right Umlauts under iTunes 7.6.2

    Apple, QA much...?
  • John McE. Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Same here, all non-conventional characters are changed for good, but only my Intel Mac, not in my iBook, both with 10.4.11. Not to mention that iTunes freezes for 3 minutes when my iPod Touch is connected via USB (also only in iMac Intel). iTunes in that machine is in effect unusable.

    Apple is getting just as reliable as Microsoft when it comes to releasing bug-ridden software. It's not the first buggy iTunes release in the recent past either. Or maybe 50% success is what they are aiming at now and I didn't read the press release.
  • iTunes Mike Level 3 Level 3 (980 points)
    Those who are seeing this:

    1.What version of Mac OS X are you running?

    2. What is your preferred language in International Prefs? (what language is iTunes running in). Does the problem happen if you put English as the preferred language?
  • MalenySteve Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am having this same problem. I just had to fix up 500 odd tracks played before I realised the fault. I will keep away from iTunes until it is fixed. I am unhappy with Apple - this sort of bug should not creep into a well established product.

    I use Mac OS 10.4.11 on an Intel MacBook Pro.
  • Thomas Thomaser1 Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    No problems with iTunes 7.7 so far I have to say. Examples:

    Artists: Frank Sinatra feat. Antônio Carlos Jobim, Opús, Âme

    Songs: Y Tú Qué Has Hecho?, Veinte Años

    No change after/during play. All songs encoded in either MP3 or AAC
  • BealeOfSteel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm getting the same problem, with the same setup as one of the guys above: Mac OS 10.4.11 on an Intel Macbook Pro, with English as the preferred language. I renamed all of the files (which took a while) and that seems to have stopped the renaming bug for now.

    Interestingly, the problem didn't seem to occur with Russian or Greek characters.

    Message was edited by: BealeOfSteel
  • blakeables Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    1. 10.4.11

    2. English (Australian)
  • danielberlin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I also have this REALLY annoying bug. At the moment I have 10.000 songs in my library and don't want to rename them all. Until Apple fixes this problem, I will have to use my CDs again...

    OS is 10.4.11 (German) on a Mac Mini (Intel 1.66), ITunes is 7.7 (43)

    I didn't expect that something like that would happen on a Mac!

    Message was edited by: danielberlin
  • r_howie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    10.4.11, English, and I have the problem.
Previous 1 2 3 Next