Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next 119 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2008 6:08 AM by Jules Gray Go to original post
  • Jeanne Troyer Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Same bug here.

    MacBook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo
    Mac OS X 10.4.11
    English as default

    Converting to v2.4....
  • gidiav_ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    OS X 10.4.11


    Is there a representative of Apple on this thread? Or are we all talking to ourselves here?

    My god, Apple is Microsoft of the 00's: shoddy software, zero respect for cutomers.
  • TigerCop Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have the same problem.

    I am using Swedish in both OS X and iTunes. To bad that I bought an iPhone, becasue now I am forced to use iTunes 7.7

    Fix this Apple!!!
  • MalenySteve Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have gone through all my .mp3 tracks and have converted them by selecting all MP3 tracks (not AAC or others) and selecting Advanced > Convert ID3 tags > ID3 tag version to v2.4. After that the tracks are not modified by iTunes anymore. This was suggested as a solution by John McE. in an earlier thread in this discussion.

    The process took me over 6 hours, as I had so many tracks to process and then check.

    As an example, this track plays without corrupting now:

    He Måi Xuèng Nghe - Cheo Opera - Quèc Trîng

    I am pretty sure that someone at Apple takes note of these threads. I have also reported this using the iTunes>Provide iTunes Feedback menu option. I suggest that others should do likewise as the squeeky wheel gets oiled.
  • buenor Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    This is a great idea. From now on I am keeping the versions that work too. I have been trying to find an old version of iTunes but apparently everyone dumped the old version download in favor of the newer one.
  • Salvatore Orlando Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Same problem here. Running in English. It's a really nasty bug
  • blakeables Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Changing the ID3 tags to version 2.4 is the best fix mentioned here so far.

    *An extra problem I just found:*
    I deleted some of the modified tracks with the thought of restoring from a backup.
    Bad idea.
    When importing songs, the bug kicks in and renames all of the affected characters with apple logos.
    *You cannot restore from any backup you might have unless the file uses ID3 2.4*
  • buenor Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    It does sound like a good idea. It is a shame that it doesn't always work, like in my case. I just wanted to mention it so that people would try it with only some of their files first. This way, if it didn't work, they would only have to correct a few files instead of the whole collection.
  • John McE. Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    It also messes up playlists. All the files with updated ID3 tags disappear from playlists, probably because they are seen as different tracks than before updating the tags. It is not a perfect fix for sure.
  • buenor Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Well, thanks for all your help. It didn't actually work for me so I've given up. I couldn't even revert back to 7.6.2 (can't find an old version anywhere, do they control the internet?) so I had to use the version 6 that came with my MBP. I am in the process of re-importing from my backups as I couldn't even use the library due to version compatibility. It's awful that one should be forced to revert to a much older version just to preserve information integrity. It's like no one tested it with non-English characters. I know it just music but anyway... I just felt like a Vista user just now Very disappointed Apple.
  • eschiss1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I incorrectly posted this in an iPod forum here because I first noticed this when I synchronized my iPod, but I believe this happened when iTunes uploaded my library. It seems to happen to many though not all tracks with non-English-alphabet characters in their names when I look at their information...
  • NoName Level 6 Level 6 (12,830 points)
    I'm relieved that I haven't suffered from this problem... I've got about 7000 tracks in my library, all of them Apple Lossless, and am currently using English localization. I will hesitate to use Finnish localization, as I sometimes need to, until this gets resolved, since my backup library is on another drive in FLAC format and it would take literally days to convert it all to Apple Lossless again.
  • Christophe Canus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Among all the posts of this thread, the only one who doesn't seem to have this problem is on 10.5.
    I was planning to install 10.5 when I would have time. It seems I will have to do this quite soon
  • Soylent Yellow Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    MacOSX 10.4.11

    Language: Dutch-NL

    Some affected tracks:
    Björk - Selmasongs (entire album)

    Album: Les Voix du Monde
    Chant Chuchoté Et Cithare - Burundi
    Chant Funeraire D'Hommes - Zär - Géorgie, Svanétie
    Chant De Danse Rituel - Suahongi - Îles Salomon (Bellona)

    C'mon Apple, you can do better than that!
  • Soylent Yellow Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My tags are already 2.4 (I always convert them to 2.4 right after importing because of the non-Apple MP3 player I use) and they get mangled anyway...
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next