Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IRC in Terminal

How can I get on IRC using Terminal?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Jul 11, 2008 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2008 1:40 PM

You will need to run an IRC client application. Whether that application uses the Terminal or not (most don't) is up to the developer. You can start by checking out this list.
10 replies

Jul 12, 2008 2:05 PM in response to osayifromcupertino

just use the unix "talk" command

TALK(1) BSD General Commands Manual TALK(1)
NAME
talk -- talk to another user
SYNOPSIS
talk person [ttyname]
DESCRIPTION
The talk utility is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of
another user.
Options available:
person If you wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login
name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then person is of the form `user@host'
or `host!user' or `host:user'.
ttyname If you wish to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be
used to indicate the appropriate terminal name, where ttyname is of the form `ttyXX'.
When first called, talk sends the message
Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine...
talk: connection requested by yourname@yourmachine.
talk: respond with: talk yourname@yourmachine
to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing
talk yourname@yourmachine
It does not matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same.
Once communication is established, the two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing
in separate windows. Typing control-L `^L' will cause the screen to be reprinted. Typing control-D
`^D' will clear both parts of your screen to be cleared, while the control-D character will be sent to
the remote side (and just displayed by this talk client). Your erase, kill, and word kill characters
will behave normally. To exit, just type your interrupt character; talk then moves the cursor to the
bottom of the screen and restores the terminal to its previous state.
Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg(1) command. At the outset talking is
allowed.
FILES
/etc/hosts to find the recipient's machine
/var/run/utmpx to find the recipient's tty
SEE ALSO
mail(1), mesg(1), wall(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8)
HISTORY
The talk command appeared in 4.2BSD.
In FreeBSD 5.3, the default behaviour of talk was changed to treat local-to-local talk requests as
originating and terminating at localhost. Before this change, it was required that the hostname (as
per gethostname(3)) resolved to a valid IPv4 address (via gethostbyname(3)), making talk unsuitable for
use in configurations where talkd(8) was bound to the loopback interface (normally for security rea-
sons).
BUGS
The version of talk released with 4.3BSD uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in
the version released with 4.2BSD.
Multibyte characters are not recognized.
BSD July 3, 2004 BSD

Jul 12, 2008 5:47 PM in response to osayifromcupertino

If you plan to use the terminal a lot then learning how to install stuff will be a bonus. You may just want to stick to a GUI application like Colloquy or MacIrssi 0.8.2. Both are free and worth a try .. I would argue that you can do a lot with the terminal as it is an opening to a lot of powerful tools. Vim text editor and Irssi are such tools.

If you wish at some point to try the a Terminal irc client I would suggest going to #irssi on irc.freenode.net and asking some questions. there are 200+ users there who can give you a lot of info.

here is a screenshot of my irssi in terminal.app

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5907/irssisv1.jpg

hope this helps.

Message was edited by: Dunolie

Jul 13, 2008 9:56 AM in response to Dunolie

Thanks guys for all your help. Dunolle, your screenshot is very much like what I'm looking for! I tried the irc.freenode.net link and I got this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, web@freenode.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at irc.freenode.net Port 80

Have they changed their URL or something? What do I do next?

Jul 13, 2008 11:38 AM in response to osayifromcupertino

irc.freenode.net is a irc network (irc.* for irc protocol, like http.* is the prefix for website addresses.) I sugguest you use colloquy to start with .. you can get it here http://colloquy.info/index.html
and then use that to connect to the freenode network (irc.freenode.net) and then join the #irssi channel (it is the easiest way to get started on irc with a mac). you may find it easier to stick with a gui in the long run. Good luck . If you need any more help you can chat to me via ichat ( robbiedunolie via aim/.mac or dunolie@gmail.com via jabber).

Message was edited by: Dunolie

Jul 18, 2008 12:50 PM in response to osayifromcupertino

You can use ERC (Emacs IRC). In terminal, type emacs to open up Emacs. In emacs, the command to open ERC is M-x erc RET which means "Hit ESC, then the letter X, then Return". From there the default seems to be Freenode, so hit enter a few times (maybe change your alias when prompted).

Once logged on you just use the standard IRC commands to join channels, etc.

IRC in Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.