Previous 1 2 3 Next 161 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2008 12:59 PM by Boji1234
alanpgh Level 1 Level 1
First I want to say that my experience purchasing an iPhone at an Apple Store in Pittsburgh, PA was excellent. All has gone well, except for the following problem:

I tried to connect my new 3G iPhone to my car audio system just as I did with my previous iPod Touch and, before that, my iPod mini. I was surprised that I got a message that my new iPhone was not compatible with the charging system. I thought it was something strange I might have been doing, until I saw this post on Apple Gazette:
http://www.applegazette.com/iphone/you-cant-charge-the-iphone-3g-on-ipod-audio-s ystems/#comment-83490

I have this exact same problem. Cannot charge on previous iPod charging systems! Apple or someone else, please help. This is an extremely odd connection problem We'll likely need some help from Apple on this one.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Alan

iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.5.4)
  • jimrichter Level 1 Level 1
    Same problem here. Does not work (outside of enabling Airplane mode) on any of my iPod audio devices (that worked for my Touch or other iPods)

Jim
  • oksurya Level 1 Level 1
    Same problem here. My Monster car charger has always worked with the original iPhone and now it won't charge. Very annoying. Not sure if this can be resolved with a software update.
  • beanj007 Level 1 Level 1
    From what I've heard, Apple removed the ability to charge via Firewire in the iPhone 3G. A lot of third party accessories still used the Firewire pins for charging instead of the USB pins. I imagine we'll see adapters come out.
  • A A P L Level 7 Level 7
    Yes, bummed when my new BOSE SoundDock didn't work, but I hear there's adapters coming...
  • Big Stu Level 1 Level 1
    Same on my Dension ICE. Still got my 30GB classic, though.

Stu
  • iMacOregon Level 1 Level 1
    I have the same issue and it is driving me crazy! I also have 3 different iPod players. Bose sound dock, Altec Lancing iPod player and an iPod player dock in my truck. All of these devices worked with the original iPhone. What is the big idea taking away this functionality? Is anyone else as angry as I am? PLEASE FIX THIS APPLE!
    Angry?
    No.
    Disappointed, a little.
    I've read adapters will be coming - don't know if it's true, but I hope.
    Things change, that's technology.
  • Nathan C Level 5 Level 5
    alanpgh,

The original iPhone supported charging over Firewire or USB, and syncing over USB.

The iPhone 3G only supports charging and syncing over USB. If your adapter was designed to charge using Firewire, it won't work.

Hope this helps,

Nathan C.
  • Jason Tokoph Level 1 Level 1
    this is ridiculous. I go spend money on accessories marketed as iPhone chargers and they won't even work. This is just another ploy that allowed them to drop the price of the new phone.
    Yeah, that's it.
  • Marianco1 Level 2 Level 2
    Removing Firewire charging support - leaving only USB charging - reduced the cost of the iPhone 3G. This is one reason the iPhone 3G makes Apple money if it was sold for $199 without a subsidy. But it leaves a whole number of accessories unable to work.
  • RudydG Level 1 Level 1
    I have exactly the same problem, car audio adapter from Dension, works 100% with ipod, and iphone first generation. But my 3G, does not charge anymore !! and it gives an anoying error message (charging device not supported, u know :-(which can't be cleared / ignored.
    So, i opened the connector, and removed the 12v signal of the connector, which helped me get rid of the error message. Then i tried connecting 5v signal on the pins which should be suited (you can find the pin layout on the net), but that part it did not get working.
    I anyone has any tips, suggestions, please let me know.
  • Carl Jonard Level 1 Level 1
    I am experiencing the same issue using the built-in iPod cable in my Scion xB. Charging worked fine with my previous iPhone, and now it doesn't work at all with the iPhone 3G. When combined with the reduced battery life, this is a serious problem.

We need a fix! My old iPhone battery was always topped up, because I could leave it plugged into the car. Now it's always low, because listening to music in the car drains the battery instead of charging it.

Not cool, Apple. I hope this can be fixed with a software update; if not, we need a hardware solution. Either way, you need to do something. This is unacceptable.
    Settle down.
    Where does Apple or Scion (I have the kit on my tC) say that every forthcoming iPod/iPhone will work in the future?
    They don't.
    I've read that there might be adapters, but nothing official on that.
    You might want to consider researching before you buy something.
    Ranting in the forums isn't going to change that.
Previous 1 2 3 Next