Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find part number on Motherboard?

Hi all - I've got a G4 MDD dual 1g mac that I fear has a bad motherboard. I have done some preliminary research into buying a replacement board, which leads me to my question (2-parter):

1. Can anyone tell me how to find the part number or identify the motherboard in this computer? (so I don't buy the wrong thing)

2. Other than eBay, can someone recommend a good source for finding a replacement board?

Any info would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance!

G4 MDD, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jul 12, 2008 1:53 PM

2 replies

Jul 13, 2008 1:31 AM in response to G4ce

G4ce,

The part number is at the end of PCI card slot 5. It will say "APPLE COMPUTER 820-nnnn 2002" (or 2003).

820-nnnn is the part number, it'll always be 820 in the first part, but the last 4 digits can be different depending on model and manufacture date. Typical values are 1308, 1440, 1445.
If you're planning to re-use your existing processors, the new board number should match exactly.

I say"If" because you may find a complete MDD or one sold without certain parts a lot easier than the exact model number board.

Jul 22, 2008 11:33 AM in response to Simon Teale

Simon, thanks for the info! VERY helpful. Through the help of another board member, i was able to get my machine up and running. I do think it is a good idea to have spare parts, given the age of this computer, so I am looking online - you're right, I can get an entire G4 MDD for close to what a replacement logic board would cost. Thanks again for the info!

How to find part number on Motherboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.