30736 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2008 3:05 AM by mikejt4
This is what you will do. Play close attention since the procedure works for me and I use it for my upgrades and restores.
1. Juice the iPod battery to max
2. Ensure you have latest iTunes
3. Shutdown your PC; complete shutdown
4. Unplug all USB devices (except for those absolutely required - mouse, keyboard)
5. Start your PC
6. Fire up iTunes
7. Connect the iPod to an USB port closest to the motherboard (usually on the back of the PC)
8. Start the restore
9. Cross your fingers
The last point is particularly important.
I know this won't help all of you, but I was able to get around the 1611 error by using a different machine that was running XP. It took quite a while in the 'preparing to restore' phase, but then I was able to successfully upgrade to 2.0.
I don't know why it didn't work with Vista ... I've been able to do previous upgrades using previous versions of iTunes.