Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First iphone charge should be 24 hours?

Is this true? I didn't want to over charge my iPhone so I took it off the charger after 7 hours. I hope I didn't mess up my overall battery life and efficiency in the long run. What shoulD I do? Thanks!!

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 13, 2008 2:08 PM

4 replies

Jul 13, 2008 2:52 PM in response to italiankid44

Lithium Ion batteries, used in the iPhone, do not work like NiCads of the past

1) More frequent charges. Fully discharging the battery will ruin it. These batteries work best when recharged more frequently

2) Charging your phone has no correlation to the capacity loss once the battery reaches its max charges. Once a LIon battery exceeds its max recharge cycles, it may begin to slowly lose capacity. This is true of all LIon batteries. What is not well understood, is that charging the battery is not the same as a full charge cycle. A full charge cycle occurs when the battery has been charged, over a period of several charges, long enough to have fully charged the battery from discharged

3) If you undercharge the battery, this will not affect its future charging ability or battery life cycle. LIon batteries do not have a memory as did NiCads. Therefore they can be charged as often as desired. Every 1 - 2 months, the regulator that handles battery charging & remaining charge does need re-calibrating. This can be done by allowing the phone, or any LIon powered device, to run until it powers-down & will not return from that state. Allow the battery to fully charge, this will allow the controller to re-calibrate

Cheers !

First iphone charge should be 24 hours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.