Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Takes a Long Time To Quit

When I quit Mail, the main window disappears immediately, but the Menu Bar for the program, as well as the dock icon stay up for a long time afterwards.

I just timed it, and it took Mail 42 seconds from when I hit quit, for Mail's Menu bar and dock icon to actually disappear. The first time it happened, I thought I would have to force quit.

There are no other strange behaviors, but I know this is not normal.

Can anyone give me any advice as to how to "fix," this? Thanks.

008 MBP 2.4ghz 4GB Ram / 2008 MP 8-core 2.8ghz 14GB Ram, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 14, 2008 11:50 AM

3 replies

Aug 24, 2008 3:41 PM in response to richisgame

I can't come up with a solution either, just adding another data point. My Mail.app takes up to 10-15 minutes to quit. I've got a very large collection of mail, and I get about 1000 new messages a day (mostly spam). I quit Mail once a week for my restart-then-backup ritual.

I really have no idea what it's doing during that time - for all I can see, it's not doing anything at all. Activity Monitor says it's using 0.0% CPU, and there's very little disk activity too.

I don't like to force quit things, especially generally well-behaved things like Mail.app, but sometimes my impatience wins out.

Mail Takes a Long Time To Quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.