Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Connect Tax Information

Hi,

I'm an individual developer from germany (no company) and I want to sell my app via the AppStore.

Does anybody know if I need an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)? If so, what do I have to do?

What is the Reference Number good for?

Do I have to fill in something in Line 10?

Any help would be appreciated!

Antworten auch gerne auf deutsch 😉

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.4.7), 2,16GHz 2GB RAM 100GB

Posted on Jul 14, 2008 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2008 9:59 AM

I went to the US embassy in London to see what I needed to do. They will only issue an ITIN if accompanied by a signed letter from Apple on an Apple letterhead stating that I will be earning money in the US. I've tried enquiring at Apple to see about the possibility of getting this, but it doesn't look promising.

The other option is an EIN (there is a link on iTunes connect to the SS-4 form for applying for this), but this is intended for companies, not individuals. However, the form says "certain individuals" can apply for an EIN. I am going to phone someone at the IRS to inquire about this. I understand you will need to do an annual US tax return too.

Michael.
56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2008 9:59 AM in response to trumi

I went to the US embassy in London to see what I needed to do. They will only issue an ITIN if accompanied by a signed letter from Apple on an Apple letterhead stating that I will be earning money in the US. I've tried enquiring at Apple to see about the possibility of getting this, but it doesn't look promising.

The other option is an EIN (there is a link on iTunes connect to the SS-4 form for applying for this), but this is intended for companies, not individuals. However, the form says "certain individuals" can apply for an EIN. I am going to phone someone at the IRS to inquire about this. I understand you will need to do an annual US tax return too.

Michael.

Jul 17, 2008 10:36 AM in response to mpatric

I've already solved that issue.

I wrote a mail to the apple support and had an answer within half a day.

It is very easy, because you do not need any number at all. Here is what they wrote:
---
There is no withholding on applications since the contract is a sales/commission basis, as opposed to a "royalty" basis.

Therefore, please enter nine zeros (000000000) in the space provided for the tax ID number. There will be no withholding, and nothing reported to the IRS for USA sales.

There are no treaty benefits since these are not "royalty" payments. I know this is confusing, but our tax department wanted to have these tax forms completed.
---

So in line 6 enter the nine zeros and check SSN or ITIN.
As an individual you would not need any reference number in line 8.
For me it was enough to check line 9a.
Line 10 can be left blank as well as line 11.

Hope this helps!

It seems to be important, that you do not check the box at line 11

Jul 17, 2008 10:43 AM in response to trumi

Actually you do need an EIN which you can get by ringing the IRS up in the states (they have a phone number for non us citizens to call) and they will issue you with one over the phone.

Without this you apply for 0% tax withholding under whatever treay your country has with the USA.

All of this is detailed in the iTunes Connect application when filling in your tax information.

Jul 29, 2008 7:55 AM in response to leberwurstsaft

I'd like too to have news...
I carefully read the documentaion and it looks that if you are not a US resident, and you earn money on itunes US, apple will retain tax for you.
BUT, if you compile the form, saying that you are NOT a US resident, no taxes will be reatained.
in my case, there's an agreement between US and Italy and I'll get a 5% tax only...

Did I undestood correctly ???

thanks
Mauro.

Jul 29, 2008 8:31 AM in response to maurodelrio

Yes. Fill up the forms. Contact the IRS by telephone and they will issue you with an EIN (employee Identification Number) number. Use this on your forms....

Check your Tax Treaty (online( with the US and fill in the percentage withheld and the Article of the treaty...plus enter the term "Royalties"...for payment type.

send all the forms to the address indicated and eventually you will be "official".

Hope this helps. M.

Jul 29, 2008 9:16 AM in response to trumi

I simply used, per another developer's suggestion, nine zeroes, got the right article number for Canada (XII) from one of Apple's links, put on 0% royalties, and sent it off. The problem on Apple's form is that it says to indicate SSN, ITIN or EIN. Their form is screwy in that there is no apparent button for SSN.

If you put in nine zeroes and click ITIN, then check 9(a) [usually] and fill out the % fields right, including the "reason" section (I simply filled in "Canadian citizen and resident) it creates the right form and emails it to you to sign and mail in. I had no problems with my application as a Canadian that way.

Jul 30, 2008 10:34 AM in response to trumi

I can only tell what they told me to do as a german citizen.
Here are the detailed instructions:

everything should be already filled up to line 5.

6. U.S. Taxpayer Identification: fill in nine 0 and check SSN or ITIN

7. Foreign Taxpayer Identification Number: leave blank

8. Reference Number(s): leave blank

9. I certify that: as an individual (no company) check a. (I don't know what to do if you have a company, may be someone can add this information)

10. Special rates and Conditions: leave blank

Part III: Notional Principle Contracts
do not check

Part IV: Certification
check

You're done 🙂.

Hope that helps!

Itunes Connect Tax Information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.