Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot extend network

I am trying to use an Airport Express to extend my current network. I have a D-Link DI-524 router with 3 Macs and a printer set up with static IPs. I set up my Airport Express manually giving it a static IP as well and choosing to "extend a wireless network." Unfortunately, I get the error "This Apple wireless device was unable to extend the wireless network."

The documentation included with the Airport doesn't have any instructions on how to extend a network, nor any troubleshooting steps. Any ideas?

PowerBook G4 12", Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jul 14, 2008 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2008 9:21 PM

Unfortunately, most non-AirPort routers are not compatible with Apple's implementation of Wireless Distribution System (WDS)...so it very unlikely that your D-Link router can be extended wirelessly with the AirPort Express Base Station (AX).

The few non-AirPorts that are known to work are:
o Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS (not v5)
o Belkin F5D7230-4 and F5D7231
o BT Voyager 2091
o Netgear WGR614 v6
o Buffalo WGR-G54
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2008 9:21 PM in response to camd

Unfortunately, most non-AirPort routers are not compatible with Apple's implementation of Wireless Distribution System (WDS)...so it very unlikely that your D-Link router can be extended wirelessly with the AirPort Express Base Station (AX).

The few non-AirPorts that are known to work are:
o Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS (not v5)
o Belkin F5D7230-4 and F5D7231
o BT Voyager 2091
o Netgear WGR614 v6
o Buffalo WGR-G54

Jul 17, 2008 5:25 PM in response to Tesserax

I notice that you included the Netgear WGR614 on your list. Do you know of a page that has setup information for that router? I've been searching for months with no good results. I have had no trouble using the Airport Express as an AirTunes hub, but I can't get it to extend the network.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Message was edited by: Natron the Mighty

cannot extend network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.