Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my iPhone bought in Sweden work in Japan?

I will buy an iPhone as soon the next shipment to sweden comes. The thing is that I will move to Japan in a year or so and I'd like to use it there as well. Do I have to buy a new one there or is the european iPhone the same as the Japanese? I ask because I heard that the 3G network in japan is somewhat different from the european and the US one, wich is supposed to be the same.

Thankfull for all answers.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2008 4:59 PM

9 replies

Jul 16, 2008 6:09 PM in response to yourhighness

I live in Japan and am on my third iPhone 3G and I also have a non-3G US iPhone for when I travel in the US.

Even unlocked it will be a paperweight because you will need to get a Softbank iPhone specific SIM in order for it to work. The only way to get that SIM is to sign a contract for an iPhone when you buy one in Japan. The color of the SIM is also different silver is the standard color for Softbank SIMs, the iPhone 3G SIM is black.

The SIM that Softbank uses in the iPhone in Japan is NOT compatible with any other handset offered by Softbank they are not interchangeable in either direction. This is intentional and they tell you this when you sign the contract (in Japanese of course) as a disclaimer.

So this essentially means you can not buy a non-iPhone Softbank phone with the intention of pulling its SIM out and putting it in your unlocked iPhone 3G. While, a Softbank iPhone SIM would probably work, you won't be able to get that without buying a Softbank iPhone thus defeating the point.

Other Softbank SIMs simply won't work as the provision information is completely different for the Japanese handsets. They also changed the moble email address of people switching to the iPhone to @i.softbank.jp to further delineate the two and I presume for assisted bragging rights and self-promotion (the iPhone is very much a fashion item here and I have seen lines even in the country side).

In fact, when I needed to replace my iPhone they had to locate one and I had to drive a good distance into the middle of nowehere to get it. Incidentally, they replaced it with a phone from a special inventory set aside specifically for replacements due to the policy about the SIMs not working on any other Softbank phone. In theory this would leave you phoneless in the even that your iPhone failed because you cant simply put your SIM in another phone and this would be completely unacceptable in Japan.

So they inventoried factory new phones that are not in the nice packaging but rather a brown shipping box with foam inside and nothing but a new iphone in it with no wires or anything else. They simply switched mine, no paperwork, no questions asked.

But roaming will definitely work as someone from Switzerland visited me recently and their phone worked flawlessly, albeit at the cost of two arms and a leg.

Feb 7, 2009 5:46 AM in response to japanlander

This is extremely useful info, thanks for posting. I have the opposite question. I live here in Osaka and am planning to buy the Softbank iPhone. When I travel to the US and Canada for two months this summer, can I buy a SIM card in North America that will enable my Softbank iPhone to work while I'm there? Will I need to unlock it? And will it work again once I return to Japan? The US seems less proprietary, so I'm hoping there is a carrier that would sell a SIM card without the type of contract that Softbank requires... but am I just wishful thinking?

Does my iPhone bought in Sweden work in Japan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.