Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much available space needed for 2.0 update backup

I'm wondering how much free space I need available on my Powerbook to do the update to 2.0.

I know the update process wants to make a backup of your iPod Touch. But I'm sure hoping that it's not going to include the iTunes Music in that backup.

I have an iPod Touch 32G with about 19G being used. My Mac has less than that in free space. I already have my Music folder on an external hard drive so it'll be nearly impossible to get a full 32G freed up, or even 19G for that matter.

What has me worried is this support document: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

It says,
"Normally if you choose to update, the iPhone or iPod touch software is updated but your settings and media are not affected. If your device currently has a software version prior to 2.0 (1.x) and you are updating to software version 2.0 or later, all data on your device will be erased in order to perform install the new software. In this case, iTunes will offer to create a one-time media backup of your device depending on what content is on your device and what content is stored in the iTunes Library you are connected to. You should ensure that you have enough free space on your Mac or PC to accommodate a backup that matches the capacity of your iPhone or iPod touch (4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB) if you proceed with the this backup."

This makes it sound like I need the full 32G. I have called AppleCare, who has assured me that this article is misleading. They say that you don't need the full amount, you don't even need the amount used on the iPod Touch because it compresses the data as it's creating the backup.

(BTW, my other Mac, an iMac, has an even smaller hard drive so that's no help! And I'm not ready yet to get a new iMac, though of course, I'd love to.)

PBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 17, 2008 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2008 8:11 PM

It needs what is on the iPod and not on in iTunes which means not very much. I did my update and the backup took all of 2 minutes so since 99.9% of the files are in iTunes it will use those to restore after the upgrade. That takes a while as it erases everything and you know how slow adding files is.
3 replies

Jul 18, 2008 6:35 PM in response to CeeZeeCZ

The suport document says it will backup depending on what is on the ipod and what is in iTunes. Since the normal operation of an iPod is to sync marked/checked items in iTunes and since the update doesn't affect iTunes. I reasoned that it will back up some tiny amount of "stuff" somehow on the iPod that is not in iTunes and hey, that's what it does. SInce iTunes has the majority of the stuff the iPod will ultimately hold. I think I had one tune on my iPod not in iTunes.

The Applecare person didn't understand this, that is a shame.

How much available space needed for 2.0 update backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.