Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 7.7 unable to locate dataclass information from Sync Services

Upon upgrading to iTunes 7.7 and connecting my iPod touch, I began receiving the following error message: "iTunes was unable to locate dataclass information from Sync Services. Reconnect or try again later."

I followed the steps listed in these articles:
http://discussions.apple.com/ann.jspa?annID=640
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305415

I am still experiencing this issue. Are there other suggestions I can attempt? I've tried to locate other posts on this topic but it's difficult since the "Discussion Search" box is missing. Thanks! JD

HP Pavilion dv6000t, Windows Vista, Media Center Edition

Posted on Jul 17, 2008 9:34 AM

12 replies

Jul 17, 2008 10:26 AM in response to jtd18

Give this a shot:

Go into Control Panel > Programs & Features
Remove these applications:
1. Apple Software Update
2. Apple Mobile Device Support
3. Bonjour
4. iTunes
5. QuickTime

Restart the computer
Download & Install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/
Launch the Utility: Start > Programs > Windows Install Clean Up
Select any of the above mentioned applications, and click Remove

Restart the computer again
Download & install iTunes again from here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Choose the option to "save" the download and save it to your desktop
When the download completes, if it asks you if you want to run the software, say no
Right-click on the iTunes Setup file on your desktop and choose Run as Administrator

CG

Jul 17, 2008 12:59 PM in response to CasperGemini

Thanks so much for your clear and concise instructions. Unfortunately I am still receiving the error message. One point of clarification -- when I launched the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, none of the five programs were listed since I had already uninstalled them. I did not proceed with the Cleanup Utility since I didn't want it to negatively affect my other programs. Please let me know if I missed a step.

Do you have any other suggestions? I appreciate your guidance! JD

Jul 17, 2008 1:38 PM in response to jtd18

So far, you're right on with the steps. It's a good sign if none of the software is listed in the cleanup utility; that generally means it was appropriately removed with the previous step(s). This utility is mainly for some stubborn or damaged programs that won't uninstall via Programs & Features.

I haven't yet seen a definitive fix for this; different options are working for different people.

Some other suggestions:

-Reinstalling the iPod driver
Connect the iPod
Click Start, right-click My Computer and click Manage
Select Device Manager in the left-hand column
Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers in the right-hand column
Click the + next to it to expand it
Right click on the Apple Mobile Device and click Uninstall
Restart the PC with the iPod connected

-Working out a syncing conflict
Do you have other devices that you sync to your computer? Either way, try this:
Close iTunes and disconnect your iPod
Click Start, right-click My Computer and click Manage
Select Services in the left-hand column
Scroll down to Windows Mobile Service, right click it and click "disable"
If disable is not an option choose Stop
Open iTunes and connect the iPod

-Disable any and all firewalls
This may result if the Outlook Sync Server service is blocked
If this resolves the issue, look into configuring that firewall to specifically allow this service.

Keep us posted on what (if anything) works for you
CG

Jul 17, 2008 2:16 PM in response to CasperGemini

Again, thanks for the quick and detailed response.

In regards to "Reinstalling the iPod driver," the Apple Mobile Device was not listed in my Universal Serial Bus controllers.

In regards to "Working out a syncing conflict," the Windows Mobile Service was not listed in my Services.

Does that provide any further clues to the source of my problem? JD

Jul 17, 2008 2:42 PM in response to jtd18

jtd18 wrote:
In regards to "Reinstalling the iPod driver," the Apple Mobile Device was not listed in my Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Was your iPod connected to your PC at the time? Make sure the iPod is connected, and displaying the screen that says "Connected, Eject before disconnecting." Try disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod if you're not seeing that while it's connected.

In regards to "Working out a syncing conflict," the Windows Mobile Service was not listed in my Services.

I'm thinking that might be because there aren't other devices syncing to your PC. Correct me if I am wrong. Did you have any success disabling firewalls?

Also, I'm wondering if you've tried resetting the sync history.
In iTunes, click Edit and go to Preferences
Select the Syncing tab
Click the Reset Sync History button and click OK
See if the error continues.

CG

Jul 17, 2008 2:45 PM in response to jtd18

I've seen this reported on some other threads, really not a lot of good information on them. One post mentioned the author had spoken with Apple's technical support and they indicated it was related to an overloaded iTunes server, due to the new software and app store and whatnot, but I would think that most of that overload has been eased by now. And I'm not 100% convinced on that answer anyway.

CG

Message was edited by: CasperGemini (typos, yikes)

Jul 17, 2008 4:51 PM in response to CasperGemini

No luck so far. To answer your questions:
1) I confirmed that my iPod was connected but the Apple Mobile Device still was not listed in my Universal Serial Bus controllers. I have an iPod touch and it does not display the message you indicated, but I confirmed that it was listed under 'Devices' in iTunes.
2) I also sync an iPod nano and an old iPod mini to my iTunes account on this computer, but nevertheless the Windows Mobile Service is still not listed in my Services.
3) I did have success disabling my firewalls (one at a time, and both at the same time) but it did not resolve the issue.
4) I reset my sync history but it also did not resolve the problem.

Thank you so much for your continued assistance! I will continue to monitor posts in hopes that someone discovers a solution before Apple fixes it. JD

Jul 17, 2008 5:41 PM in response to jtd18

These are the latest two suggestions dug up from some other boards:

Restart the Apple Mobile Device service:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567

Uninstall Microsoft Sync Center, if you have it installed.

I'm not sure I'm leaning so much toward it being a Microsoft issue, because there's nothing even remotely close to this error on Microsoft's knowledge base.

CG

Jul 18, 2008 9:29 PM in response to jtd18

Let's try testing this in a new user account.

1. Go to Control Panel > User Accounts
2. Click on "Manage Another Account"
3. Click on "Create new user"
4. Follow the prompts to create a new computer administrator
5. Restart the PC and log in to the new account

See if you can connect the iPod and make the same error appear. Regardless of the outcome of this test, I'm thinking we should go back to the first link of your first post and contact Apple Care regarding this. There must be a good reason for them to request users with this issue contact Support... perhaps they need information in order to determine the best course of action.

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

CG

PS. If you do contact a representative and come up with a solution, I'd be interested in hearing what comes of it.

Jul 21, 2008 12:42 PM in response to CasperGemini

Hi CG, I created a new administrator user account, but upon opening iTunes it prompted me to create a new iTunes account. I did not proceed, knowing that I can only sync my iPod with one iTunes account, and I didn't want to create more of a mess that I didn't know how to easily reverse.

Meanwhile, I noticed that if I click <OK> to get past the error message, iTunes will sync music and podcasts with my iPod, but it will not sync my Yahoo Contacts or Outlook Calendar. In fact, the iPod Info tab will not display any options for me to select.

I contacted Apple Support and we tried deleting the Sync Services folder and re-installing iTunes, but that did not resolve the issue. The rep was extremely helpful and has escalated it to Engineering, so hopefully they'll figure out a solution soon. I will keep you updated. Thanks again! JD

iTunes 7.7 unable to locate dataclass information from Sync Services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.